Poor Frame Rate GeForce 4 4400

Hiya everybody. I have a issue with my new geforce 4 4000 card. I upgraded from a geforce 2 ultra and have now found very poor frame rates in Unreal Tournament. Maps I used to get 80 or so fps in, I now get 30 or 40. I was told if I don't see the vid card bois display at bootup, there is a problem with the card. Is this true? I don't see any vid bios on boot up with this card. I have also tried several versions of the Nvidia drivers, gforce tweak utility, and hours of messing with settings ect.

I run:

P4 1.5 cpu

512 meg ram

40 gig hd

win me

creative sb sound card

all the latest updates and drivers

The sad thing here is I put my old voodoo 3 back in (sold the geforce 2) and it kicks the snot outta this geforce 4.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Crow

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the agp settings from 32 meg to 256 with no improvements. I also have my desktop set to 16 bit, 1024x768 at 100mhz refresh. I just don't know what I'm missing.  :(

Thanks for the reply.

Crow

Sounds like your card is bad. Can you give me some more scores say from 3d2001 or jedi, directX8 anything. One other thing to try is to to remove the card from device manager and reset the system and reinstall the drivers right from the web site for the operating system you are using. ???

MORE POWER!!! *grunt grunt*

Yeah, I hear the GF4 need lots of power...

Your PC may also still be loading the old vid cards drivers... search for them and delete the old drivers...

I think the power thing with Geforce is bull. I tested my Asus on a 300 watt tower and a 431watt tower with the same stuff. Every test i ran was either the exact same or 1 or 2 points difference. No difference at all. I think people put a little to much on the value of wattage on certain devices and not enough on others.    :D

well, you use Intel CPU's and we use AMD. AMD's use a lot of power :)

That can make some difference.

I think the GF4's are a little power hungry, but not "as much" as some might think..

Couldn't be as power hungry as my Voodoo 5 5500, that sucker had to have a 4 pin power plug from the power supply  hooked up to the dang board..