Is Zonealarm Still Worth It?

Sanosuke_Sagara

I been in college for the past... 3 years now so i am out of the computer scene... but i updated windows and it has that firewall and it seems to be like a zonealarm want to be.. where it askes your request to allow a program to use the internet. if i use this and just allow the programs i want to access the internet will this be just as effective as zonealarm? or should i still install Zone alarm on the computer?

I dont trust the Windows firewall. If I test a new program it keeps sending data until I decide to unblock or block it. Zone Alarm is a lot more in depth. Personally I dont use it, except for on my brothers computer, because I feel the router firewall does a pretty good job.

Edited by SMeeD

The XP firewall is about as worthless as a spoiler on a ricer. It will warn you about programs accessing the internet (typically at the most inopportune times, such as when you are in the middle of a multi-player game), but that's all it does is warn you. It will not stop the program until you have said whether or not it can access the internet. Thus, if this "suspicious" program actually were something bad, you wouldn't know until you got out of your current game to see the warning, and by that time you may have 5GB worth of viruses installed on your system. Do NOT use or trust the Windows firewall.

hardware firewalls are perfect....

but the one thing that a software firewall does that a hardware one will not, is alert you to programs attempting to make outbound connections.......

You would be amazed how many programs ask for an outbound connection.... and how many websites that do as well..

Now why would a website ask for an OUTBOUND connection?

Think about it...

I use Outpost Pro now, but I am always looking for something better.

Personally I was never a fan of zonealarm, but it works fine

I been in college for the past... 3 years now so i am out of the computer scene... but i updated windows and it has that firewall and it seems to be like a zonealarm want to be.. where it askes your request to allow a program to use the internet. if i use this and just allow the programs i want to access the internet will this be just as effective as zonealarm? or should i still install Zone alarm on the computer?

Windows Firewall is useless

:withstupid: Real men use a hardware firewall :lol:

Real me DONT use firewalls

i learned along time ago that firewalls are evil, the only time i would EVER suggest installing one is if you where being attacked by someone in which case i would install a hardware firewall and block their IP/subnet.