Sign in to follow this  
Makaveli

Wood And Hard Drive?

Ok so here is the problem...I got a 160GB IDE HDD from my buddy for Christmas. Now, the only open IDE I have is the slave of my dvd burner. So, my hard drive HAS to go under the dvd burner, there is no other option. I've even thought about getting an IDE to SATA converter, but there is no clearance space between my hard drive rack and the left side of my case my case. Since my case is tool-less, you can't screw anything in. I was wondering what could I do to prop the hard drive up under my dvd burner? I first thought wood, but I don't know if I'll do that. The other thing I was thinking was to make a cradle with wire for it to sit on but that'd be weird lol. Any ideas?

Well provided it doesn't rattle about or you don't decide to go to a LAN party and forget about it not being held in it should be fine. Sure someone here said thyey had HDD's just hanging by their wires in mid air lol.

3.5" to 5.25" Hard Drive Mounting Brackets

ac5253.jpg

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=925

you'd end up with the same holes on the side as an optical drive, so you can use whatever you use for your lite-on on the new hd

Edited by hardnrg

ac5253.jpg

I've used those several times. They work great.

Or he could just make the harddrive external using an external harddrive enclosure, but then again I guess your only wanting it inside the computer right?

I actually had my hard drive hanging with rubber bands, it kept the drive quiet and a little cooler. If you take two rubber bands, stretch them across the drive bay, slide the drive in the bands its pretty sturdy. I used two pieces of pencil with heat shrink on them to make it look nice.

erm this may sound silly but why dont you use the the IDE lead the other way up?

your useing mobo<-long gap-> hdd <-sort gap->dvd drive

why not use mobo<-short gap-> hdd <-long gap-> dvd drive i did this ages ago on my first rig..

edit: So the hdd can sit in the hdd rack wich is normly close to the mobo and the dvd drive stays where you have it now

Edited by firky

ac5253.jpg

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=925

you'd end up with the same holes on the side as an optical drive, so you can use whatever you use for your lite-on on the new hd

That sounds good! I'll look around on Newegg to see if they have some.

erm this may sound silly but why dont you use the the IDE lead the other way up?

your useing mobo<-long gap-> hdd <-sort gap->dvd drive

why not use mobo<-short gap-> hdd <-long gap-> dvd drive i did this ages ago on my first rig..

edit: So the hdd can sit in the hdd rack wich is normly close to the mobo and the dvd drive stays where you have it now

My case is a full tower, my hard drive rack makes my hard drives sit vertically. The stretch from DVD drive to hard drive would be insane. Not to mention, my motherboard sits upside down and my DVD drive is on the opposite side of the case.

I saw somewhere that someone used these really thick black rubber bands to suspend his HDD. I think he was trying to make a totally silent case. Evidentally it reduces vibrations really well. I don't rember what he attached the rubberbands to, but you can play around with that.

Guest buick454wnos

could always mount it up and down and screw it that way onto the drive bays