Sign in to follow this  
Queenz

Upgrade For My Setup What Do You Think

Ok I got some new things coming in since my dad finally let me order from newegg. I already got a Core 2 Duo E6300 and 1GB of OCZ Gold Series DDR2 Memory, and all of the other rest of the stuff. Except I have decided to upgrade to a different motherboard and video card. Except this time I am going SLI. Here is what I got coming in so far:

Video Card/s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814186011 <---------------------This baby looks real good

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813188009

Since I am going with SLI do I buy the same exact video card as I already bought above or the non SLI version of it?

BTW: Got some ideas from Unforgivin's new E6600 setup, THANKS Unforgivin!!!!

HSF? And why don't you get a Cheaper 8800GTS? The evga and bfg versions are both $429

Reason why I ask about the HSF, is that EVGA mobo has parts where the backplates on larger HSFs would be... crushing the stuff behind it

HSF? And why don't you get a Cheaper 8800GTS? The evga and bfg versions are both $429

Reason why I ask about the HSF, is that EVGA mobo has parts where the backplates on larger HSFs would be... crushing the stuff behind it

Ahhh crap that means I will have to buy a new water block right? Because I am using a water cooling setup. Oh and I choose the foxconn version because it comes OCed to 575MHZ Core and 1800 Memery

Ahhh crap that means I will have to buy a new water block right? Because I am using a water cooling setup. Oh and I choose the foxconn version because it comes OCed to 575MHZ Core and 1800 Memery

I think foam padding or a couple nuts should fix that

my first question is WHY? upgrade your video card... okay... but the motherboard just isn't justifiable. you're going from a CF ready board to SLI ready... that's the ONLY difference there. the 975 chipset it one of the most stable and reliable ones on the market, that particular board overclocks very well... just a silly waste of money to replace it.

and second, please tell me this isn't your parents money you plan on spending to get this stuff.

and second, please tell me this isn't your parents money you plan on spending to get this stuff.

A 16 year old getting SLI 8800 series cards.... Unless he's got a part-time job on wall street or something, that's his folks' money.

A 16 year old getting SLI 8800 series cards.... Unless he's got a part-time job on wall street or something, that's his folks' money.

I'm going to pay him back with my birthday money

I'm going to pay him back with my birthday money

Hmmm thats a lot of money.. all in one go too. Im only 17 and it took me ages to get my set up. but about

Edited by firky

are you seriously getting 2 of those bad boys? You must be getting a hell of a lot of birthday money man! if I were you, get a x1950xt and done it is, no need to spend insane amounts on 2 of the newest vid cards, and then having to get another mainboard for them to work in SLI! Keep the Asus, get a x1950xt, and crossfire it if you need to later, but no need to buy anything else!

upgrading from an x1300??? ONE of those 8800GTS cards will blow your mind! never mind SLI...

hope you're running a high-resolution display

well i hope you plan to shell out a few more hundred bucks for a better psu. as good as the ocz is, i dont think its gonna do very well with two of those cards.

EDIT: oh and i almost forgot. the e6300 is a decent chip but wouldnt two 8800 series cards be bottlenecked by that chip?

Let the young man spend his money on what he wants!! But here's my 2 cents. I don't really think the motherboard upgrade will be worth it for you. Take a look around XS and see what people get for max clocks with the asus you have versus the evga 680i. The 975 chipset is still faster than the 680 clock for clock. I have been looking to upgrade my motherboard but i will not gain enough performance to justify the additional $300 for an r600 mobo. Now with vid cards more and faster are always better.