Sign in to follow this  
FergJob

That Much Of A Difference?

Well, we just got internet back at my casa again, so i do a speedtest, and an amazing 1.2 megaBYTES/second, so we hook the wireless, and i run a speed test with that, and only 553 KBytes/sec. Is it really that bad of a difference? im in the next room over, literaly 30ft (at max) from the router. Any tips/suggestions?

Well, we just got internet back at my casa again, so i do a speedtest, and an amazing 1.2 megaBYTES/second, so we hook the wireless, and i run a speed test with that, and only 553 KBytes/sec. Is it really that bad of a difference? im in the next room over, literaly 30ft (at max) from the router. Any tips/suggestions?

I have a linksys wrt-54g wireless router and I get good speeds mine is upstairs and I am down stairs.

how many walls does it have to go through and what kinna walls? I know here I have to run 5 meters of USB extension for my wireless to get a proper signal, cause the walls are mad thick!

well, i have my bedroom wall and theres, and there closet wich is small, not alot of metal in the way, but they do have safes, firearms etc in there but i doubt that that would affect it. i have great signal, all the way max

well, i have my bedroom wall and theres, and there closet wich is small, not alot of metal in the way, but they do have safes, firearms etc in there but i doubt that that would affect it. i have great signal, all the way max

Metal/Steel is wireless worst enemy

check to see what your actually connected at. we have wireless G at our house but my laptop sometimes drops to 24mbps or so when the connection gets low. it sometimes even does it when its near full signal, which does slow it down a bit. its default to auto adjust your rates with that linksys router. (i have the wrt54gs which is near identical.)

My signal is all the way upstairs. I'm down 2 stories in the basement and here is what I got:

post-18748-1167032785_thumb.jpg

It's pretty good for being in the basement if you ask me.

I have 4 machines that are wired on about 4' or 5' of cable right next to the router and modem and its no faster than the wireless machines. I have one wireless that for some reason gets almost twice the speed of any other machine its almost 5mb down load :O

Guest Raven65

ok, I don't see your specs, but are you using a laptop or a desktop?

If you are using a desktop and have a pci wireless card you might want to try something.

Here in florida our houses are constructed of block and Stucco. When I went wireless and used a pci card I hardly got a signal and was about 20 feet away. Now most people will disagree with this but at least in my instance it's true, I returned the pci card and bought a usb instead, my speeds trippled. It might be worth the shot.