How Do I Use The Hdtv Dongle?

Here's the link to my card here: http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GT_256_PCIX.html

If you scroll down to the bottom, you can see it comes with many dongles. I'm interested in the HD (component) dongle.

My question is how do I use it and set it up so that I can get a HD signal from a cable box or video game console such as an Xbox 360. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I don't have a clue how I do this. I plan on getting a nice widescreen LCD sometime soon and plugging in my Xbox's component cables would give me a cheap HDTV picture.

Any programs that I need to get?

I know there are those VGA adapters, but I'm trying to avoid any more expenses. Any guidance would be helpful.

It is similar to the HDTV cable seen in this picture, but a little different. Does the same function:

14-130-072-10.JPG

Edited by krazymonkey500

The blue, green, and red cables are the video cables for a component connection. You can pick up that sort of cable from pretty much any hardware or electronics store. Since an Xbox360 comes with component cables, you pretty much just plug them in. The only other thing you would have to figure out is sound. There are adapters for speakers, some speakers may even have digital audio in, which the Xbox360 also supports.

Now, the software part is a bit trickier. I know how input works with a TV tuner, but not exactly sure how to go about setting it up with a video card. Better if I leave this question to another member.

the 7800GT component connections are OUTPUTS

so i don't know what you think you will achieve connecting an xbox360's OUTPUTS to the 7800GT's OUTPUTS...

connect PC -> LCD via VGA/DVI to VGA/DVI/HDMI

connect xbox360 -> LCD via VGA or Component

connect CableTV -> LCD via Component/HDMI

the multi function mini-DIN breakout cable for the 7800GT has:

inputs:

S-Video

Composite

outputs

S-Video

Composite

Component

component is Y, Pb, Pr (a type of RGB)... i have never seen a component input on a graphics card whether VIVO or otherwise

btw, the connections on my breakout cable are distinctly labeled to distinguish the individual connectors... i would have thought all breakout cables are labelled to avoid confusion

Edited by hardnrg