Router

Uber

Ok that it im done with routers, iv tried 4 or 5 diffrent ones. What can i use to replace it? or a router that has NO FIREWALL at all in it. I just need something that will grab an IP and then assign other ips to my other boxes, as my ISP only gives me 2 ips, right now, i have one ip assigned to my server, and the other is to the router, then the router is splitting for my 4 other machines.

Is there anything else i could use that would assign ip's like a router would?

a pc set up for Internet Connection Sharing, connected to both the cable modem, and a switch...

already put together an old PC its formatting now.

What problem are you having with using a router? I'm guessing something with the firewall, but what are you trying to do that it's not letting you do?

the firewall garbage, its blocking this that it shouldent, and i have even set it to open every port to all the PCs i have connected and it is still blocking them, i bypass the router and im fine. and today was the last straw, so im going to try Hardnrg's solution.

just build your own router with the old pc and a few nics run some form of linux on it and your good to go i have a friend that did that and even added in wireless to it but he is asleep right now or i would tell him to come post his old setup

already put together an old PC its formatting now.

the firewall garbage, its blocking this that it shouldent, and i have even set it to open every port to all the PCs i have connected and it is still blocking them, i bypass the router and im fine. and today was the last straw, so im going to try Hardnrg's solution.

i had similar problems, but it turned out to be software. The Linksys range are nice routers :) we've never had a problem at all.

i had similar problems, but it turned out to be software. The Linksys range are nice routers :) we've never had a problem at all.

if bypassed the router and all my problems where gone ;) so i know that its the router. i will be finishing the setup on my new Gateway here tommorow and seeing if i can get it to work the way that i want to.

if bypassed the router and all my problems where gone ;) so i know that its the router. i will be finishing the setup on my new Gateway here tommorow and seeing if i can get it to work the way that i want to.

sure but obviously most problems can be resolved by removing a router. what i am saying is, it could be something to do with how the software firewall is configured to the hardware (what with the DHCP and the netword address etc). I was getting really angry the other day...but it's fine now.

but either way - so long as you are a happy bunny, i've offered what i can :lol:

sure but obviously most problems can be resolved by removing a router. what i am saying is, it could be something to do with how the software firewall is configured to the hardware (what with the DHCP and the netword address etc). I was getting really angry the other day...but it's fine now.

but either way - so long as you are a happy bunny, i've offered what i can :lol:

im not following... im a networking nub

He is saying that all you had to do was configure it correctly and you wouldn't have problems.

to bad it was etup correctly... i even spent about 3 hours on the phone with tech support and they couldent tell me how to fix it. its a flaw in the router, and im about to test my gateway and see if it works.

to bad it was etup correctly... i even spent about 3 hours on the phone with tech support and they couldent tell me how to fix it. its a flaw in the router, and im about to test my gateway and see if it works.

its not the router that is always at fault. ive no doubt you could try others of different brands and get the same issues. it is a combination of software on your pc and the router. i promsie you :)