I Didn't Upgrade My Agp Card

lt_navvara

A couple of months ago I popped out on this forum asking which of the following agp cards yould be best: x1600, x1650 Pro PL, 7600 GS or x800gto. At the time these were my only upgrade options. I was set on getting the x1650 but had to put a hold on my plans due to financial problems (actually some stupid bank clerck mispelled my name and address and I couldn't my scholarship for 2 months).

Anyway now I can afford the following video cards and, with money in hand, shall purchase one of these by Cristmas:

BFG 7800 GS, a proven design that is sure to offer a great gaming experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143046 - 205$

Sapphire x1950 Pro. This shows great promise but it is still to be proven in combat (gaming). The software bundle is tempting, so are all those cables and accesories.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=326860 -250$

The x1950 will only be available from 21/12/2006 and costs 45$ more than the 7800GS so i'm having a hard time picking one card over the other. The two cards are seem closely matched after all that a 25% price difference isn't justified (ati x1950 256 MB PCI vs 7800GS 512 MB using tomshardware interactive VGA charts).

Yet, for all that, i've been dying to try ATI for a while and unless you guys say otherwise i'll prolly get the x1950.

A couple of months ago I popped out on this forum asking which of the following agp cards yould be best: x1600, x1650 Pro PL, 7600 GS or x800gto. At the time these were my only upgrade options. I was set on getting the x1650 but had to put a hold on my plans due to financial problems (actually some stupid bank clerck mispelled my name and address and I couldn't my scholarship for 2 months).

Anyway now I can afford the following video cards and, with money in hand, shall purchase one of these by Cristmas:

BFG 7800 GS, a proven design that is sure to offer a great gaming experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143046 - 205$

Sapphire x1950 Pro. This shows great promise but it is still to be proven in combat (gaming). The software bundle is tempting, so are all those cables and accesories.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=326860 -250$

The x1950 will only be available from 21/12/2006 and costs 45$ more than the 7800GS so i'm having a hard time picking one card over the other. The two cards are seem closely matched after all that a 25% price difference isn't justified (ati x1950 256 MB PCI vs 7800GS 512 MB using tomshardware interactive VGA charts).

Yet, for all that, i've been dying to try ATI for a while and unless you guys say otherwise i'll prolly get the x1950.

x1950pro will beat that 7800, by a fair amount. I vote x1950

Heh, I'm tempted to buy one myself...

Edited by The Unforgivin

personally i dont think its too smart to buy the highest end agp card. Even though the card may not become obsolete, the rest of the system will be, and then youll have to get a new card. It's just a money pit if you ask me. However, if you really want it then id say go for 1950pro.

I would recommend the 7800gs, because of price:performance ratio. As ziggy said already, you won't be using that (most likely) for too long anyways, as the rig will soon become outdated.

king I am so disappointed in you :glare: what you should have said is "Definitely go with the x1950 Pro because you can load Folding@Home on that gpu and run folding when you're not gaming" :D And that is something you can't do on the 7800 GS.

Anyway, that's what I hope to do once these cards become readily available.

quite unfortunate, i need to make a decision asap. does anyone know when the x1950 will become available? sapphire says 21/12/2006 but when will newegg start selling the board?

newegg is a little slow a lot of times... I think they horde up there stock before they even begin selling it, where as a lot of smaller sites have the stuff available immediately

BTW: I still recommend upgrading your AGP rig at all costs.... I'm going to be upgrading (hopefully) to an A64 or if I have the moolah, a cheap e6300... If your in my position where EVERYTHING in your rig is FULLY upgraded... it isn't worth anything, so you can't sell it, and your stuck with it :( So you'll have to pour even MORE moolah into a new rig... :(

You're quite right unforgivin, so say people around other forums (i don't mean to offend occ but i had to ask around). Sinking all that money in my rig is useless, is should upgrade as soon as possible. Better start saving those pennies...Yet until my rig is replaced i still need something to keep me going or a couple of more months. Furthermore, since it's x-mas i've been thinking of getting my little brother a little something like a new video card.

Here are my brother's specs:

AMD Sepron 2600+ overclocked to 2+Ghz (he got an thermalright XP-92 as an present from me a couple of years ago)

el cheapo motherboard

512 Mb ram

Asus 128 MB Fx5700

I'm thinking of getting two x1650's at 120$ each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814161033

But if you guys were able to find two x850 pro or x800 gto's that fit in the 130$ price range i'll go for those. I have to make a decision today. It's either pick a card now or wait for six more months

Edited by lt_navvara