Sign in to follow this  
Celcius

Upgrading To 4gb

how do you hand-pick memory anyways? do you like contact the manufacturer, and be like "I need some awesome OCing RAms, you got any handy?" or what?

Plus when you have a lot of memory you can actually run programs from your memory which speeds stuff up quite nicely... ;)

I'd wait on that OS.

and if you're thinking DX10.... shhhhhh don't tell anyone else... but I know something that you don't know. it's about a 99% chance that you'll be seeing it in XP. game developers are pushing MS for it so much so that it would end up costing them more not to than they'll make of Vista sales (which are already expected to be in the crapper)

BigRed what is your source on the DX10 for XP rumor? I have been hearing just the opposite and am very curious as to what the real truth is? There are statements here and here saying otherwise. I am just asking because this is the first time I have heard about this.

former co workers @ MS.

trust me there's a LOT that goes on in a company of that nature that isn't exactly on the "enquirer".

plus common sense and better business logic tell you it has to be done.

Seriously 4Gb will be an acceptable capacity, I'm currently on 1Gb, but for gaming (mainly) i would upgrade to 4Gb once vista comes out.

(I'd get a board that takes 4x 1GB because 2x 2GB must be hella expensive)

Will DX10 for XP come out at the same time as Vista or a little later?

As far as I can tell, there is still no evidence that it will come out at all.

While I agree that it makes sense for DX10 to come to XP, I have seen no idication yet that it will. It's a logical thing to do, but we all know that M$ is not always logical. They'll try to push Vista upgrades as hard as they can, and DX10 exclusivity helps that push a LOT. I would really doubt you'll see DX10 on XP at Vista launch. I bet they'll wait a bit to see how Vista really does, and decide from there.

Just to post an update:

I decided to stick with just 2GB. I started monitoring my memory usage and even when doing something like playing Oblivion, the highest that memory usage got was 58%, so having 4GB (even in vista) would be major overkill.

Just to post an update:

I decided to stick with just 2GB. I started monitoring my memory usage and even when doing something like playing Oblivion, the highest that memory usage got was 58%, so having 4GB (even in vista) would be major overkill.

Yes, I believe I covered that in the 3rd post in this thread.

As for DX10 and XP, I think MS is smart enough to do it, eventually. However It's much more likely they will release Vista, wait it out, then release DX10 for XP. In all honestly the new version of direct X is NOT what will dirve the true Vista sales numbers. Most customers will buy it for WORK rather than play, and as we all know most work doesn't rely on even DX9.

As for 4GB of ram, in vista I could actually see using over 2GB. I personally am a ram whore with my main rig, in XP I tend to USE around 768 during general usage, add 1GB for many games (not ot mention my recent habits of leaving Compnay of hereoes Singleplayer open, and going off playing another MP game , though i finally got around to beating CoH last night (stalled out after i wasnt able to play during class :() so that 700mb in the background is gone now :). Eitherway I'm still good to go for XP, however when i was running Vista RC2 I was seeing 1GB being used at time when i was doing next to NOTHING. Just folding (same units as the XP comparison at the time), Trillian, Opera, Fx, Fireworks, and a few other basic apps. It was sad. Oddly enough games were taking more ram playing under the samesettings in vista for some reason. Not to mention the nearly 35% performance hit for many games...However my money's on video drivers for that one.

If it was me I would wait. You're good to go now, you may have better ram options at more reasonable prices by the time you NEED the 4GB (as in 2 x 2GB kits of performance ram hitting the market). Not the mention the final version of vista may not be as bad as the betas on useless ram suckage. Afterall the early betas of vista with more development related crap running were sucking far more ram than RC2.

even if you had to upgrade to 4 gig for vista, wait till the last possible minute. don't buy things early thats just a waste of money. if you buy vista and pop it in and play games and they dont run flawlessly because of lack of ram, then just order the ram at that moment. not before.