Sign in to follow this  
Mr Black Cat

Gddr2 Or Gddr3?

simple question: is there that much of a difference between gddr2 and gddr3? My budget only extends to $230, and i was curious if 512mb ggdr2 is that different than 512mb gddr3. my friend is rambling on to me right now, as i write this, about how much better it is.

adios:

mr black cat

DDR3 is much better. If you're in doubt, just look at the memory speeds of a DDR2 card vs. a DDR3 card. If you have two specific cards that you're comparing, we can probably give you more info.

if your budget is $230, i think you should really be looking at 256MB card tbh... a $230 card with 512MB memory will probably suck compared to an equivalent priced one with 256MB...

$230 could get you a 7900GT 256MB or 7950GT 256MB or X1950Pro 256MB... unless you get some sort of amazing deal, $230 is only going to get you an X1600 512MB or something

if your budget is $230, i think you should really be looking at 256MB card tbh... a $230 card with 512MB memory will probably suck compared to an equivalent priced one with 256MB...

$230 could get you a 7900GT 256MB or 7950GT 256MB or X1950Pro 256MB... unless you get some sort of amazing deal, $230 is only going to get you an X1600 512MB or something

O RLY??

BAM! and BAM!

they aren't $230... not even after the rebate... unless maybe you walked to newegg headquarters and picked it up and didn't buy any food/drink on the way... otherwise you'd have to pay shipping... so ha! i'm still right!

/me does the haha i'm right dance :lol:

they aren't $230... not even after the rebate... unless maybe you walked to newegg headquarters and picked it up and didn't buy any food/drink on the way... otherwise you'd have to pay shipping... so ha! i'm still right!

/me does the haha i'm right dance :lol:

If someone can't afford to spend an extra $10 for a much superior product, then I don't think they should be upgrading at all :P

did i ever say it has to be agp? Oops.

My Bad:

Mr Black Cat

um, yeah...oops :P

that definitely makes a HUGE difference. Now you're looking at around a 7800GS 256MB or a x1650pro 512mb. You'll have to check out benches to see which would perform better.

7800gs yea, but isn't there a x1950pro AGP card coming out?

Yeah... but I haven't seen anything about it.... :(