Sign in to follow this  
legend_jo

This Case Sux

I got this case Coolmax CV-580, I installed a MSI k8n neo2 in it, one gig corsair value ram, ATI radeon 9000, and westerdigital drive.

I was able to boot up, but i left it running [email protected] overnight, and woke up to a loud series of beeps. The screen was mainly black, with only a letters displaying halfway through post.

I"m pretty sure it's a grounding issue. The case doesn't offer much support, if i push firmly in when plugging in keyboard or usb devices it kinda ever so slightly bends in from the pressure.

I'm thinking this support issue is causing my problem. I've found that loosening(or removing) some screws, and fiddling with the PSU cord gets the system working. Also if i use the keyboard port i get the same series of beeps and black half way post screen. So what i do is use the USB, even then sometimes i have issues when pushing too firmly on the USB connections(back is cheap metal no support)

So question is, Anyone have tips on how to solve this? I've screwed it down really good, and doesn't seem to help. I"m looking into getting another case, but i'd like to try my fixing this if possible.

Why not try hooking everything up without a case? Just lay it all out on a table or something. If it'll run fine outside the case, then that'll answer your question. If you still have problems outside the case, then it's not the case.

If you suspect the case, simply take it out of the equation and test again.

Can i just lay the motherboard on the cases metal side panel? or something wood?

The case is probably not conductive but I wouldn't put it on anything metal. Wood or carpet would be better.

Edited by UMTopSpinC7

The case is probably not conductive but I wouldn't put it on anything metal. Wood or carpet would be better.

ACK!!! I was all ready to put in a :withstupid: , but then I saw "carpet".

Carpet is a haven for static electricity. I would strongly recommend against an "on carpet" build. A piece of wood would be great, anything non-conductive. A kitchen table would work great, I bet :P

Okay i sat the motherboard on top of a few phone books, and it's been running [email protected] for about 10 hours now.

Anyone know where to start with the crappy case? Where do i look for the improper contact? When i had it in there i tried using just the middle row of screws, and also tried it using all screws. Both gave me contact issues, and i think that fried the keyboard port. The keyboard port doesn't work, and i only get a post screen plus beeps if i try to use it.

Did you use the motherboard standoffs? The little bits that go between the board and the motherboard tray in the case? That would be my first guess.

Well that would eliminate 90% of most of the grounding issues you'd see. What makes you think that it's a grounding issue? Going back and reading your initial post, it doesn't really seem like a power thing. Generally, if there was a grounding problem or short, your PC would turn off imediately. You'd have to have a really crappy PSU to have it not do so. What you describe seems like something very different.

Have you been able to reproduce this weird beeping and video problem again since it happened the first time?

As far as the "support" that the case offers the motherboard, I don't really see that being a big issue. ATX cases are incredibly standardized, and generally they're all going to mount the motherboard at the same points, so I don't see how swapping the case would change that.

If the system runs fine for a day or so on your table, try putting it back in the case and see if you can reproduce the problem. If you can't reproduce it, it may have just been a fluke, or something not making a good enough connection.

You do not have an extra stand off that is not lined up with the holes in the M.B. that is possibly touching the back of the M.B.. Make sure there are exactly the same. :foldon:

Okay so i think it is the case. It was able to run [email protected] for about 2 days straight, while on the stack of phone books.

I put the board back in the case screwed in the standoffs, screwed in videocard, USB bracket, and Wireless NIC. I left the side panels off.

It came on and was able to [email protected] another day. I put on one of the side panels, the right side, and i got those weird beeps again, more like clicks. So i removed the motherboard powercord and repluged it in, i did cut-off the PSU's power switch before putting the side panel on.

It came on again, and was able to fold for a number of hours, along with other internet actvities.

I put on the left side panel, and it came on fine, and was able to [email protected] for about 8 hours. I decided to restart the PC in the morning, and i got the freaking beeps again!! I mean, i didint' even touch the case!!!

So i remove the left side panel, and unplug/replug the motherboard power cord, and it works again...

I"m about ready to trash this case...any thoughts on what to look for?

any idea what your temperatures are? sounds like a cooling issue to me... also, beep error codes are unique and you can find out what beep code you are getting...

you don't get beep codes for grounding issue... you either get the psu turn off, or something blows up... and you certainly wouldn't be able to see anything on screen