Sign in to follow this  
CrackHead

Unable To Setup Raid 0

Hey guys about a month ago everything was fine and dandy with my computer setup which was running Windows XP Professional SP2 over my three hards (320GB WD SATAII 16mb). My world got even better when the computer technican at my father's office was too swamped with work to test out the copy of vista they recived to determine whether it would benefit the company, the job was passed on to me.

My problem is in the past I had my harddrives setup in raid 0 via the bios using the nvida contoller built on to my motherboard. However during the Vista install process it recognized the drives seperatly. Tried using the drivers that came with the motherboard, tried using the beta drivers off nvida's site. I haved tried almost every trick in the book I could think of with 0 success. So does anyone know who to make this possible? (Run raid 0 in bios and install vista)

In the meantime I setup raid 0 in windows via the computer managment tool however I could only have 2 of my drives stripped cuz the 3rd had the OS on it and gave me an error message saying can't do it. If no one knows of a solution to my first question does anyone know of a software based program that will allow me somehow to run raid 0 with my 3 drives. I don't mind reinstalling or anything like that as long as I get it fix.

Any suggestions is much appeciated and thanks in advanced

CrackHead

(also please no comments about the danger of data loss/drive failure, I am aware of this and all critical material is constantly backed up to an external/dvds)

do you have another RAID controller on your mainboard that you can test? You should give us some system specs mate!

software won't be able to set up 3 drive RAID-0 because you can't stripe the OS that is triggering the striping (if you get what I meen).

Yeah its hard to say exactly, and you did say you tried the BETA drivers for the RAID controller, so that may be part of the problem right there. and like dingeling said, no 3 drives in a software raid from windows. I haven't tried to do RAID in Vista yet, I just installed it on a single drive myself.

Hey guys after some extreme efforts, I was finally able to gety raid 0 setup via the bios and have windows vista reconignize and install onto it horray!

Below is a copy of my results via HD Tach.

Setup 3x320GB Western Digital SATAII HDs in Raid-0

HDTach.jpg

the problem was your raid wouldnt show up, so set up the raid in the bios than if you have a nvidia board d/led the drivers for vista than installed restart go to windows updates and the raid drivers should be up for download.