Sign in to follow this  
AcePilot88

5.1 Troubles

I have the Logitech X-530 speakers, and whether I am gaming, listening to music, or watching a movie, i can't hear anything out of the center speaker or the two rear speakers. The two front speakers and the sub are great. Does anybody know how I can fix this?

if you have a Live or Audigy card, you can use CMSS to matrix a stereo source like music to all channels... also called a 3D upmix or surround upmix...

regardless of soundcard, you should select 5.1 in the windows control panel... this should mirror on the soundcard's mixer/speaker settings if you have a creative card...

then you need to select 6-channel audio in your software dvd player to hear movies in full 5.1

um... it's generally a good idea to list your hardware or include your rig specs in your signature, especially when asking hardware-dependent questions like this...

My specs are:

Dell Inspiron E1505

Core 2 Duo T5500

2 GB DDR2 RAM

80GB HDD

250 GB External HDD

SigmaTel High Definition Audio

Kensington Notebook Dock w/ 5.1 audio out

Edited by AcePilot88

ah ok... i see, the kensington docking thing has it's OWN built-in soundcard... you may need to adjust your hardware profiles options so that when the dock is connected, the docking station 5.1 soundcard becomes the primary audio device... set all your audio software to use the primary audio device and it will use the kensington soundcard when docked..

does the dock not come with any instructions, i would have thought hardware profiles and how to configure the built in soundcard would be explained in a manual somewhere...

Edited by hardnrg

Yeah, I did that, still doesn't work. I think it may be Media Center - when I try to configure my speakers with Media Center, it will only let me select "2 speakers" or "headphones". There is no "6 speakers" or "5.1" option.