Fx-70 Series Processors

According to /. the new AMD FX-70 series has been released.

Hot Hardware's testing

And ExtremeTech's Testing

TFA on /.

MojoKid writes, "AMD officially launched their QuadFX platform and FX-70 series processors today, previously known as 4x4. FX-70 series processors will be sold in matched pairs at speeds of 2.6, 2.8, and 3GHz. These chips are currently supported by NVIDIA nForce 680a chipset-based, dual-socket motherboards, namely the Asus L1N64-SLI WS, which is currently the only model available. HotHardware took a fully configured AMD QuadFX system out for a spin and though performance was impressive, the fastest 3GHz quad-core FX-74 configuration couldn't catch Intel's Core 2 Extreme QX6700 quad-core chip in any of the benchmarks. The platform does show promise for the future, however, especially with AMD's Torenzza open socket initiative." And mikemuch writes that the QuadFX "not only fails to take the performance crown from Intel's quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6700, but burns almost twice as much electricity and runs significantly hotter in the process. ExtremeTech has a plethora of application and synthetic benchmarks on QuadFX, including gaming and media-encoding tests."

Who knows how future releases will do though, could AMD possibly have more tricks up their sleeve?

Looks interesting something more I have to save up for.

I'm not sure you're reading the same article I am. All three articles in the OP clearly show that 4x4 uses almost twice the power of the existing Intel crown-holder, and still doesn't match the performance. I definitely won't be saving up for this.

Perhaps future generations of this technology will be more promising, but currently it appears to be rather silly.

or you could just go opteron 2xxx series and spend 1/2 the price per processor.

also 99.999999% of the people even on OCC have NO applications to support that type of investment... heck even 90% of OCC has no real need for a dual core processor.

if it consumes twice the power but brings less performance, that shows me that AMD doesn't have any aces in their sleeves. too bad, I thought we would have a comeback from AMD soon

:withstupid::unsure: I dunno... This is probably just a "Lets release what we've got" :(:lol:

EDIT: WOOT 1.8k posts :)

also 99.999999% of the people even on OCC have NO applications to support that type of investment... heck even 90% of OCC has no real need for a dual core processor.

Thats no lie only the people that use them folding! :foldon:

folding on SMP boxes just isn't worth the $$$. per $$$ you get more by having 4 lower end processors.

and like I said before.... you'd be better off with a pair of 2000 series opterons and a regular workstation board. heck for folding it's a monsterous price difference.

:withstupid: Heck, I'm getting by just fine with my sempy. I just think it's a waste of money.