Ram Heat Spreaders

This should be a very easy Question! I was looking at some RAM heat spreaders. They are cheap enough, the

thing is, I am wondering if it is really advisable to put the stick in a metal Jacket, as apposed to having it freely

exposed to the air flow. The principle of heat dispersion is simple and strait forward but "How hot does the

stick actually get?" - and, can the dispersion, if it "is", actually better, trully help the overall stability and or performance of the stick? It is only a couple of dollars, I am just wanting to know if they can help any at all

or can they actually be detramental.

Blue Magnetic Storm

the heatspreaders are just a gadget from the manufacturers. The new XTC heatspreaders from OCZ actually do something, but the other plain ones usually make not a big difference. It won't really matter if you have good airflow. For Example, I have my HZ's right under the 120mm fan from my CPU cooler, so they have enough air (with heatspreaders though)

It gives ytou a wider surface to cool, meaning you dont need so much 'direct' airflow, though for mild overclocks, and stock they are pretty useless. If you are running any kind of seriouse voltage or speeds they are beneficial with active cooling.

• 1 month later...

i have a set of these on my PC-2700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835110105

idk how the difference with them on because i never oced untill i got those ram sinks on.. but my ram is only Corsair Value Select (4 years old now)... and its running 2-2-2-11 running at 210fsb on 2.9v (been OCed for about 3 years)

and keep this in mind that i have a PC-2700 and not PC-3500