Gunked Up Tubing And Blocks

jack_of_java

A friend of mine bought a computer last year with a watercooling setup already in it. Within three months, the computer temps skyrocketted. I checked it, and found that the guy who sold it to him had used only the antifreeze compound as coolant. He had told my friend to do the same. Needless to say, the compound heated up and crystallized. When I initially took it apart, I could not even push air in a syringe through some of the components because they were so gunked up. He eventually replaced the parts that were completely blocked, cleaned the remaining as best as I could, and I put the system back together again for him. The temps were not as low as when he initially received the computer, but they were low enough that it wasn't going to cause any problems if he had the computer in load. We replaced all the tubing during this time as well. Instead of using only cooling solution, we mixed it 80/20 with distilled water (being the 80%) and used that for the cooling solution.

Now, six months down the road, he is telling me that the computer is spiking temperatures again. It seems that the problem is occurring again, and I can't help but think that the parts we didn't replace are getting gunked up again. Before he replaces any more parts, what could I use to completely clear out the gunked up tubing/blocks? I've read somewhere in the forums about people using vinegar. What are you thoughts?

Yes, soaking in vinegar is supposed to clean everything out. Just make sure you do some research about what metals you can do that with. I seem to remember something about aluminum corroding... although copper is fine.

aluminium corrodes but the oxide layer is a protective film that protects it, so you're safe.. copper doesnt corrode that easily too but it get tarnished and that's about it. and what kind of antifreeze compound did your friend use? i dont exactly recall any antifreeze stuff that crystaliized on being heated.. shouldnt be like that.

anyway let the vinegar sit in the system for some time and then flush it out thoroughly :) should do the trick.

aluminium corrodes but the oxide layer is a protective film that protects it, so you're safe.. copper doesnt corrode that easily too but it get tarnished and that's about it. and what kind of antifreeze compound did your friend use? i dont exactly recall any antifreeze stuff that crystaliized on being heated.. shouldnt be like that.

anyway let the vinegar sit in the system for some time and then flush it out thoroughly :) should do the trick.

Some time = 6+ hours. Just soak the metal things. Take apart the blocks and remove the rubber seals.

Yes, soaking in vinegar is supposed to clean everything out. Just make sure you do some research about what metals you can do that with. I seem to remember something about aluminum corroding... although copper is fine.

As long as in your loop you aren't mixing between copper and aluminum parts, you will be fine.

As far as gunk, between just antifreeze and probably not getting the system ready before putting it together caused that problem.

i had some second hand parts i got for cheep that had this issue, takem them appart and soak all the metal stuff in a bucked of CLR/Vinigar for a day or two. Pick the junk off any Lucite with a toothpick/toothbrush

give everything i liberal soap down, then rinse with water, relube the seals and reeassemble, then make sure you use a proper mix next time.

Vaseline(SP?)

Coat them in it kinda massauge it into the seal, if it was dried out before it will absorb some of the lube and plump back up and should be good for another long while. :)

Edited by Uber