What Do You Like To See In An Mmorpg?

Kamikaze_Badger

For the MMORPG players here, what do you prefer to see in an MMORPG? How much should the storyline play into the game? What kind of differences do you like to see among characters, mobs, quests, et cetera? What keeps you coming back to the game? And, what do you see the biggest downside to MMORPGs as?

Thanksies, this is all for a project.

How much should the storyline play into the game?

If it has a good story line its a plus, but most of the good mmorpg's are translated (poorly), so i dont pay much attention to the story line...

What kind of differences do you like to see among characters, mobs, quests, et cetera?

I like to have a wide assortment of playable character types and a wide selection of class weapons.

I.E. Warrior; sword, blade, axe, halberd-polearm etc.

What keeps you coming back to the game?

For me to continuously play a mmorpg it has to have a good amount of playable area's (maps) and it needs to have a good quest system.

What do you see the biggest downside to MMORPGs as?

Probably the whiny kids who think that they are teh 1337 :glare: and the lack of item upgradeability and support in some otherwise good mmorpg's...

For the MMORPG players here, what do you prefer to see in an MMORPG? How much should the storyline play into the game? What kind of differences do you like to see among characters, mobs, quests, et cetera? What keeps you coming back to the game? And, what do you see the biggest downside to MMORPGs as?

Thanksies, this is all for a project.

-Storyline: Storyline doesnt mean much to me as long as ive got something to get me started

-Characters: I really like highly customizable characters with a wide variety of NPCs

-What keeps me coming back: something with a good combat system and that has a lot of other skills that everyone can do

-Downsides: addiction

I like the WoW combat system best of the games Ive played, I just wish there were more secondary skills that played a big role in the game... dare I say it, like runescape.

I just wish there were more secondary skills that played a big role in the game... dare I say it, like runescape.

I used to play RS back in the day and they have a very diverse amount of skills and quests you can do.

The dialog of the npc's were actually pretty good and quite smart-assed some times, which made the game better IMHO...

If I could find a RS type game that wasn't like 16-bit :lol: I would play it!

I used to play RS back in the day and they have a very diverse amount of skills and quests you can do.

The dialog of the npc's were actually pretty good and quite smart-assed some times, which made the game better IMHO...

If I could find a RS type game that wasn't like 16-bit :lol: I would play it!

I played it for a year or two and towards the end the only reason I played was because of skills. They were such big money makers. I really do like WoW better but Im always going to wish it had a skills system like RS. Im lucky WoW doesnt have that skill system because I would probably be addicted.

I like being able to do your own thing at times. Such as doing a quest or just going out and killing things and exploring. but exploring is better if there are things that you wouldn't find if you just did the quests.

Maybe a fully realized version of the original SWG we were supposed to get, bug free of course.

The very least I'd expect is non forced group play. A strike of balance between solo and grouping. WoW executes this idea well, and I wished more MMO's could do the same.

I am not a big fan of RPG's (except Oblivion :D ), but I hate having so much repetitive stuff in them. The same dang "scorpion-monster thing" attacking you over... and over... and over... and over again. After killing about 6,000 of them and levelling up from level one to level two, I call it quits and go play Midieval II or Oblivion (where the NPCs are smarter than the REAL people on the MMORPG I just left).

Maybe a fully realized version of the original SWG we were supposed to get, bug free of course.

That would be a wonderous thing. I always wonder what would have happened to SWG if it's original ideas were done right. They had so many great ideas, but it launched early and has been a beta-quality game ever since. Every "fix" they put in just broke more things or screwed up the original game more.

As far as a more direct answer to the question, it kind of depends. If you want a "successful" MMO, then look no further than WoW. Like it or not, that game has DOMINATED like no other MMO could ever even dream. But it panders to the ADD youth. It's an MMO for people who don't play MMOs. I've found that most people who've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and UO find it too childish and get tired of it quickly. I've been playing them since EQ1, and I sure did. There's little (if any) focus on community building and teamwork, and in general it's just less-mature content. Hence the reason that 6.5 million of the 7 million subscribers are 14 year olds who just want to gank all day.

For me personally, I want something more in-depth and immersive. It doesn't necessarily need to have a storyline per se, but I think it's important for an MMO to have "lore". By that, I mean gods, history, factions, mysteries, etc. But more than just having them, it's important to give the player a feel of how they all fit together. Things that immerse you in the world, and trigger curiosity as you stumble upon them. You may not necessarily have an ongoing quest driving you through the game, but there is some backstory that makes the world more real. If that makes any sense.

Apart from that, it's got to have a good UI, of course. UI controls will make or break a game for me these days. I know what I want, and if I can't get it, I won't be playing that game. Customizable UI is a big plus, but not too much. WoW has too much and look at all the hacks and cheats, or even just "legal" macros or addons that trivialize certain gameplay elements.

My last one would be character development. Encourage the player to better their character. Make them get attached to it. It should be more than just a class and level to them. If they do get attached to it, they get more involved in the game, and it's more of an adventure than a grind. Little things like armor that constantly looks cooler as you upgrade can go a long ways.

That's my out look, at least. :)

A good player base, I'm not talking about just quantity but quality as well. Also, a blocking system is very nice (I play WoW and at least my server, Shattered Hand, doesn't have too many whiney little kids)

Also, constant updates to equipment and the map are good. A lot of variety such as PVP, different "instances" and quests is a huge thing that I look for.

I'm not a big fan of story based games and prefer a very open system where it's mainly about getting better, both talent wise and equipment wise. I'd rather have social involvement than just be soloing in an MMO.

KB - if you are planning on making an RPG, hit me up on AIM or through PM sometime as I've been really wanting to get into it myself :D (I've already designed somewhat of an "engine", just hadn't got around to implementing some type of DirectX in it so the graphics were extremely glitchy and nasty.)