Watercooling Tubing

airman

Okay...so what's all the difference [besides cost] between Tygon($2.80/ft), Clearflex($1.25/ft) and regular pvc tubing i can get at lowe's for like 3 times cheaper? all i wanna know :)

thanks peeps

Tygon or similar allows for tighter bends, regular pvc tubing kinks very easily so you need to use 45 or 90 degree adapters wich limits the flow...

Its only $3 a foot and you need how many feet?

most likely not enough to justify the savings on about $12 or so of tubing vs. a $150 fried cpu from a kinked hose.

Edited by Andrewr05

Tygon is better stays clear and has a thicker wall= no kinks.

I have had 0 problems with my ClearFlex60. It also hasn't kinked, although I haven't tried, it does take a bit. Second, any tubing will be fine as long as you know what you are doing.

I ordered like 12 feet to go from CPU, GPU, Pump, Rad, CPU, T-line and I had a couple extra feet.

Order more then you think you will need because if you screw up, atleast you have extra to use.

i suppose. anyways, how much will i need? i'm just going pump, block, rad, and a t-line for a fillport. not gonna use a res. no need when using a fillport :)

I ordered 10 feet of clearflex that let me run two loops:

1. Pump, rad, CPU, GPU

2. Pump, rad, CPU

Both loops had 1-2 feet for a T-line and I had about a foot or two left over afterwards. This was in a fulll tower case (Tt Armor). You can find Tygon cheaper than that if you do a bit of searching. If I remember correctly, Jab-tech has good deals for that stuff (but they only ship to your billing address).

To answer your original question... The Tygon is labratory grade tubing. That means that whatever additives or dies you put in your water, it shouldn't stain or cloud. Personally, Clearflex worked fine for me. And you can get cheapo tubing from Lowe's and use Coolsleeves in the right places and you won't get any kinks at all. ;)

But like someone else said already, it's only going to be a couple more dollars for the Tygon. So, unless you're really pinching pennies (like me :lol: ), just spend a little extra.

EDIT: The guys over at XS have been recommending 7/16" Masterkleer tubing instead of [insert brand] 1/2" for awhile now. Yes, I know. It sounds like cheap crap, but apparently it's not. I guess it's high quality stuff, doesn't reduce flow (compared to 1/2"), and fits better on the barbs (no dead spots in the flow).

And do NOT use elbows at all! No matter what tubing you buy.

Edited by Bleeble

I use Tygon with my DangerDen setup, works like a charm, mind you its a little bulky, but you can have increadably tight bends without kinks in this stuff. Also you could get cheap hose and just put loops in it to avoide the use of elbows. Thats what i did with my old setup, just put a loop in the hose whenever you need to make a corner or whatnot, takes, up more hose but you dont lose flow.

I have not used Tygon but I have used the clear hose from Lowes/Home Depot and it does not want to make a bend without kinking so it sounds like I should have used Tygon. I had to use regular hose clamps to make it seal around the fittings also, the ones they sell would not get tight enough. Go with Tygon.

:foldon: