ATI vs. nVidia

This is mainly directed towards any ati users...

I'm a linux user, who plays some FPS games in windows, but mainly rts games.  I read someplace (cannot remember where...grr) that ati has much better image quality in 2D and 3D than the nVidia cards. I do a lot of programming, so image quality (invluding vivo) is important. 3D performance is secondary, but still an important choice.

From what I've heard, a 8500 128mb card (or AIW) would be a good choice for me. If I go with nVidia, I'd probably end up with a 4400 or 4200.

Can anyone give me some advice? Is the ATI image quality noticably better? Is the 3D performance noticably worse?

ATI makes good cards they really do..

If you go with the 8200 you will save ur self a bit of cash.. depending on were u get it.

ATi's new cards have this thing called tru form..

which is the good thing they got going for them.. it makes the graphics look incredible...

the only downside to ATi is.. there drivers suck..

I guess they release a card but dont have good drivers for it untill like months later..

But im pretty sure now, if you were to upgrade to an 8500 you can download the good drivers for it..

I know the Nividia Ti4600 blows away the 8500 in benchmarking scores..

but you are paying close to  400 bucks for that card.. depending on were u get it..

so.. ATI is a good card.., and this is comming from someone who only buys Nvidia.. lol..

but thats my opinion...

l8rz

I'm not really a hardcore gamer... but I do enjoy getting slaughtered in UT on occasion.

Would you say either card will get me where I want to be, performance wise for the next couple of years? I know video cards  go out of date very quickly, but I'd like something pretty solid for  the Unreal 2 level games.

Thanks!

okay not to diss on ATI because i dont think they are bad, i just dont think they are the best, i work with both company's at my work i have nothing but ATI's and personally i have nothing but trouble with them, drivers Blow .! and we have run into about 30 of them that have fried the motherboards themselves due to bad design (all in wonder's)

and when im at home, i build computers for people just mid range systems i go with Nvidia Geforce 2 MX 400's not the best card by Nvidia but soo much better, the drivers are wonderful and i have never had a computer do anything but boot perfectly and run perfectly with them!!! thats my 2 bits c-ya

• 2 weeks later...

$192 is very expensive for a radeon 8500 64 MB DDR. First off, a Radeon 8500 128 MB runs at the same clocks if not faster (mine is underclocked 1 mhz I'm so sad but dont care :( ). I agree the drivers are total .! But my Radeon outpreforms GF4 Ti4600s and I could have bought a Ti4600 but chose not to. I really don't know what al the fuss is about. You can grab a 128 MB Radeon 8500 for like $154 via pcworld and probably cheaper via pricewatch. For that price it is an unbelievable deal (I bought mine right when they came out). If you don't mind an hour or so configuring the drivers and having kinda crappy dual monitor software the Radeon is an awesome card. Why does everyone hear run GF4s?

Oh and if you are wondering what I do with my card I used to game but was wasting way too much time so I stopped, and now I run 3d graphics programs and photoshop and web design, and for those pruposes my card is unbelievable and yuo should see my render times in some programs it is crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...