My Radeon 9800 Pro Is Trashed... So Whats A Good Replacement?

I'm agreeing with some of the posters above. I was faced with the same delimma and was looking to upgrade my 9800 pro.

It was explained to me that for a socket-A system, an AGP Nvidia 6000 series card or equivalent was the best bet. the APG 7000 series was only really usable for a socket 754 system. i understand they both fit in the A but the cpu limits the 7000 series so the 6k is the place to go....so whatever the equivalent to that 6k series card in ATI would be the other choice there as well.

so in the end i agree most with silverfox, as its best to get something to tide you over until you decide to do a full system upgrade. After weighing my options i decided on a x1900xt and a system to support it. I'm so glad i did. because if you thihnk abotu it, a $150 card to tide you over could go into a new rig. How long after you get that AGP card will you be getting a PCI-e system? and how will a $150 pci-e card perform compared to the AGP one? if your gonna hold onto the barton system for a while yet then i think the AGP would be a decent investment. so pop for a used higher end 6k series or the 850 card. good luck.....

now to find a review comparing the GTO and the 6k series cards together on an OC'd aocket A setup........(im asking for a bit much i think)

thanks for your support man.

ya.... i don't really want this system to exactly go to waste you know? i'll defintily build a new rig sometime... but i just want this thing to hold me over for another year or so. and plus when i do get a new rig, iam still hoping to keept his thing around just for company to use and ect. ect.... FOLDING

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic