Lame Question

Makaveli

Ok, here is what I want to do: I want my internet to run to my Xbox from my computer's wireless internet. I did it once before, but I forgot how I did it...So here is what I have:

ASUS P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe

Linksys switch box (has 1 uplink connector and 4 ethernet connectors)

I have black ethernet cables and blue ones (not sure if that means anything...). Please help, and thanks in advance!

sdy, it isn't a router, it's a switch

on your computer you need to have a spare network port... many motherboards have TWO ethernet ports, so you can use the spare one to share the internet out to the switch...

xp makes this easy, you run network setup wizard and say you the pc is connected to the internet on the current connection and to share the internet through the spare port... then connect the spare to the uplink, and the xbox to one of the other ports on the switch...

this *should* work, hopefully you won't have to do any sort of port forwarding or application allowance for the xbox... if xp puts a firewall on the shared connection, which it almost certainly will, just disable it to avoid any potential firewall blocking your xbox issues :)

effectively, you are making your pc an internet gateway, and then the switch is sharing the connection... so you are sort of making a router out of a pc and a switch... this is what i do to connect three computers to the internet, i have a gigabit switch, and my axp rig connects to the ethernet lan :)

Edited by hardnrg