O/Cing my GF4 Ti4200

How high should I? I have about a 45celcius ambient case temp, I don't know what temp my GeForce is running at, but it's got 4 PCI slots between it and the nearest component, so it's got lots of room to breath.

I want to put it at 290-300 core and 565-590 memory, which Gainward's program has in the yellow part of their little meter, so I don't think I should have any problems, but I've never done it before so I wanted to run it by someone who knows what they're doing first. Gainward's program is incredibly simple, so I know how, just wondering if I should.

Danke'

Do you really have a need to overclock it? Why do you want to overclock it?

Do you run super high quaility details in games with a high resolution?

Or do you just want bragging rights? :)

Bragging rights mainly. I only got a 7280 3DMark2001 score too, it should be a lot higher than that. I was expecting between 8,500 and 9,000. I'm gonna do some bios tweaking, but I want to overclock my video card and rub it in my PC fanboy friend's face that I've got a better PC. :-p

He's still stuck with a TBird 1.0 Ghz and a GF3 Ti200 Golden Sample, so you can see how much more room for rubbing there could potentially be. ;)

Aright, here's what happened.

I overclocked it in spurts of 5 Mhz to 300/575 and it seemed to work right, then I tried 3DMark, the FPS wasn't any higher, and it froze on the second movie (Dragothic) twice, so I reset, it booted windows again, and everything was all weird lookin'. So I think "Ok, guess I went to high" I boot windows again, and then the Core/Memory was back at default. *shrugs*

Any idea's? Should I just leave well enough be? Or try again.

Grr! I'm disapointed. I can't get this thing over 280 without it screwing up in 3DMark, it boots windows without crashing, but when I run 3DMark it goes crazy. I got my 3Dmark scores up to 7,800, and beat the average GeForce 3 Ti500 marks with my proccessor, (or so Madonion tells me) but I still think it should be higher.

Loaded my motherboard's high performance bios defaults, and that made the FPS quite a bit higher on what I could see of the first video in 3DMark before it crashed. I don't know what it's problem with the high performance defaults is, everything I've got is high quality, my Ram especially (85 freakin' dollars for 256 megs of ram *shakes head*) but it was incredibly unstable. *sigh* I guess I'm doomed to only be rubbing it in my friend's face by around 3000 points....

GAINWARD YOU DISAPOINT ME! I WAS PROMISED GREAT OVERCLOCKING!!

Check out some reviews about the card. If you still feel that something is wrong, write to them. Its possible you could have a bad card. ???