Leavein Computer On

capthowdy575

I was wondering if there was a way to put my computer to sleep and still have all my downloaders still run is there a program out there our do u need to leave my computer on.

Theres no way to be downloading stuff with your computer off, except for this new router that was on slashdot a couple months ago. It had a bittorrent client built into it and then you could access it through a web interface and it had a 160gb hard drive built in then it just kept downloading stuff as long as the router was on.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/20/2126253

Well,

You can run some apps as services, which allows them to run when you are logged off.

I just leave the system running and turn the monitor off.

:withstupid: your monitor probably eats more power than your computer under normal usage, but if you're concerned about noise levels, then look into a fan controller, water cooling and/or a quieter case.

Well I have the antec p180 right now and it has five 120 all set to medium right now and the loudest fan in there is my power supply fan when its all the way up but other then that its pretty quiet i was just wondering if there was a way to do it or not thanks.

Well I have the antec p180 right now and it has five 120 all set to medium right now and the loudest fan in there is my power supply fan when its all the way up but other then that its pretty quiet i was just wondering if there was a way to do it or not thanks.

The only things a "downloader" wouldn't be using is your gpu and optical drives. Your cpu, mobo, hard drives and psu would all be in use, thus you can't exactly put your computer to sleep.

I was wondering if there was a way to put my computer to sleep and still have all my downloaders still run is there a program out there our do u need to leave my computer on.

Why? Are you trying to conserve electricity? Your computer really doesn't use that much power when downloading. Just shut off the monitor.

I suppose you could put together a low-spec download box if you were concerned about power as well.

Everything uses power even at idle so something like a mini-itx system I would expect to use considerably less power.

Edited by jammin

Why? Are you trying to conserve electricity? Your computer really doesn't use that much power when downloading. Just shut off the monitor.

:withstupid: Was wondering the same thing I don't see why you would want to put your computer on standby instead of just turning the monitor off. Unless your worried about security and someone coming and turning on your monitor and using your computer when your away.

:withstupid: Was wondering the same thing I don't see why you would want to put your computer on standby instead of just turning the monitor off. Unless your worried about security and someone coming and turning on your monitor and using your computer when your away.

And if that's the case, you can always lock your computer or put a password on the screensaver.

:withstupid: your monitor probably eats more power than your computer under normal usage

i find that highly unlikely... my 22" power hungry crt eats 110W and that's like getting towards the most power consumption of displays... my 17" crt uses something like 55-70W (i can't remember) and lcd's use even less than that...

however, a computer idling (not in standby), with the display in standby or off, uses a lot less power than at full load with the monitor on...

i use my athlon xp rig as my download box because it uses the least power out of all my rigs and i run it 24/7