Where Is My Computer?

TEK_Speedy

(This doesnt have too do with overclocking really, but I didnt see a "general hardware" area. Mods feel free to move if there is a section I didnt notice. This forum is huge!)

I want to know where my computer stands. It's an odd question, but I want to know, am I still on the verge of being outdated with this new computer, will I be somewhat stable for future gaming .etc?

I just upgraded from a computer that lagged playing America's Army on the lowest settings. It became "outdated" back when Half Life 2 was released. It ran fine, but the quality had to be on medium, and I had to use the simple shading. Even then, cutting 25-30fps.

The new specs to my computer are in my signature. When will I again be saying "oh man I need a new video card" or whatever.

What in my computer can stay, what needs to go? Is my motherboard capable of lasting longer than the rest of my components? This mothrboard sais it's compatable with AM2, but unfortunately the motherboard is only compatable with DDR400 ram.

Before I invest in a whole computer again, I would like your help to determine, what will need to go, and what can stay for the future!

Thank you loads!

This still belongs in the general section...

Your computer is still rather outdated by right now standards, which will steady become more obsolete over time, as well.. Getting something along the lines of an AM2 motherboard/chip and DDR2 RAM along will bring you up to "right now" standards.

So the video card can stay, but I should invest in those things which you mentioned?

Mods can move this topic. Where is the general section? I'm a noob. I've only been registered here for years, but I only started posting recently.

This still belongs in the general section...

Your computer is still rather outdated by right now standards, which will steady become more obsolete over time, as well.. Getting something along the lines of an AM2 motherboard/chip and DDR2 RAM along will bring you up to "right now" standards.

ok, you have a socket 939 pci-e motherboard, i dont see absolutely nothing wrong with that. that board WILL be able to handle newer hardware. your ram though, you need to get 2x1gig sticks of ram since it will be cheaper and faster (timings) and your asus board will accept ram more than ddr400 but it just might down clock it (course you can always overclock it too heh). your a64 3700+ should be able to hit 2.7ghz or more with the right cooling imo.

your video card with that rig should be able to handle a games with some AA and AF @ 1280x1024 but it will struggle a bit. honestly, all you need to do is get a new video card and you should be just fine, and upgrade the ram of course.

This case has awesome cooling. My processor has a Freezer 64 on it.

The 3700+ should be 200MHz HTT with a multiplier of 11. What would I change in that to overclock it to 2.7? I would definately say I have overclocking ability with this cpu cooler. My case also gets massive air through it and out the back, so everything should always be cool.

If I up it to 2.7ghz, what would the processor be more like, a Athlon 64 4000?

Edited by TEK_Speedy

How do I set up the clock/multiplier for 2.4ghz? I would like to try that increment first to see the temps. If that works, what is the clock/multiplier for 2.7ghz?

What temps should I be keeping at idle?

My last processor stuck at 43^c idle

a 3700+ and x800GTO should be able to pull WAY more than 25-30fps on HL2... when i was using my 3500+ and x800XL i was getting about 40-50fps on high settings and 2xAA, 4xAF... but that's probably because i overclocked my cpu and graphics card...

you're only cheating yourself if you don't overclock :)

What temps should I be keeping at idle?

My last processor stuck at 43^c idle

My [email protected] sat at about 30C idle on average. I had an XP-90 with an 80mm intake and a 120mm exhaust. Idle doesnt really matter much when overclocking, its all about the load temps. For load I personally like to keep things under 50C, thats for 24/7 usage.

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this. First of all, I don't think he's that out of date. 939 is older than AM2, but we've all seen that the performance difference is nothing to write home about. Going to AM2 and DDR2 won't improve that either. DDR2 doesn't really offer significant gains over DDR1, especially for the price he'd pay for a board and 2gb of ram.

The chip is kind of iffy. If overclocked, I'd say you're in great shoes. Most recent 3700s are hitting 3ghz-ish on reasonable cooling, which is great. I haven't seen much that will top that from AMD, 939 or AM2. If you can get that chip to 3ghz-ish, I'd say you're in good shoes for quite a while. If, on the other hand, you're running it stock, then it's not going to fare quite as well. In that case, there are plenty of chips that would offer a some clock speed improvements at stock.

As far as the video card, I don't really know. I gave up on keeping track on what all the 12+ flavors of X800 were. I do know that there's been 1 generation of Ati since then, and now 2 of nvidia, so it'll definately start showing its age soon.

Also, your board won't run an AM2. I'm not sure where you get that from, but it won't.

Well, the motherboard box that the mobo came in sais AMD FX, and AMD X2 on it, as well as 64. Not sure if thats the same as AM2.

a 3700+ and x800GTO should be able to pull WAY more than 25-30fps on HL2.

No, I mean my last computer which I just sold does that. I also had another pc for a while, athlon 2600, 1 gig ram, 256mb radeon 9800 pro, ran HL2 at 50fps on the highest settings and 2xAA. So this new pc will be better than that, so I'm expecting good stuff :)

EDIT: If I overclock to 2.7ghz, what is the equivelant? Athlon 64 4500+ ?

Edited by TEK_Speedy