Abit Ag8 Failure Please Help!

Ok i overclocked my ABIT AG8 to 3.8ghz with the voltage at 1.51V. But anyways after I did that I ran orthos and I had a failure with that. So I restarted and lowered the clock speed a few more mhz less. It started and windows was loading and then all of a sudden KABOOOMMM!!!!!! The things shuts off and keeps trying restarts by its self. Now the computer won't boot up at all. I mean yeah everything comes on but I dont get a psot screen or anything! And on my motherboard it shows the bios error codes on the digital display and it says 9F, but in my motherboard manual it says nothing about what error 9F means. I have tried everything I could. I cleared the CMOS jumper, removed the batter, and cut off ALL POWER. I even removed all the expansion cards too and still nothing. I have the things I have above are the things that they told me to do in the book, and even more including removing the expansion cards. I mean come on what the heck this stuff gets me pissed off. One thing I got to say is that ABIT has some poor crappy manuals that barely explains anything about their configurations. But yeah anyways can someone please help me.

Maybe you should put some peanut butter on the BIOS chip, I'm sure that'll fix it.

I'm kidding :P

Back on topic though. How exactly did you go about resetting the CMOS? I know you reset the jumper and took out the battery, but give us more details. Did you just switch the jumper and put it back right away? Did you just take out the battery and then put it back 10 seconds later?

I know you're panicked, but take a deep breath and explain to us the problem calmly. We can't help you if we don't understand you (that means make coherent, legible sentences)

OMFG I just removed the 4 pin power connector and guess what. It was stuck and I kept pulling pulling and pulling. Until finally it came off. Guess what happened. The one of 4 pin power connector on the motherboard actually melted down into the 4 pin socket. It was brown and burnt and melted!!!!!!!! Not only is my PSU screwed up now so is my new 1 week and 3 days old motherboard. This is what I get for using a crappy compusa norwood micro psu on an ABIT motherboard. Now Idk if I can even exchange the motherboard because I ripped off the bar code on the box. There is still a bar code on their but not the microcenter bar code they put on in the store. I could easily lie to them telling it was defective because their stupid but I wonder if they will let it slide since I have my receipt and proof of purchase of that exact motherboard. And as for the PSU I might just wire another 4 pin power connector on their since that was the only problem. Any suggestions and help guys would be appreciated :)

first off, sign up for english 101.

second, how is it microcenter's fault? YOU bought an Abit board. YOU installed it. YOU screwed up the box.

sounds like YOUR fault there.

and if you're going to be dumb enough to plug in another 4 pin power connector from that same PSU into a new motherboard... you'r eout of your mind.

first off, sign up for english 101.

second, how is it microcenter's fault? YOU bought an Abit board. YOU installed it. YOU screwed up the box.

sounds like YOUR fault there.

and if you're going to be dumb enough to plug in another 4 pin power connector from that same PSU into a new motherboard... you'r eout of your mind.

You could also try rats for room 101.

/offtopic

anyway, you're pretty much screwed for that, Abit will most likely not take it back, the PSU is a cheap one, and that is where your fault is as the others have already said. Cheap PSU with good components = an absolute NO-GO!

well, MOST mobo makers would take it back. but Abit is not like most of them. thier RMA process is handled by HSeng Tech. which means it HAS to go back from an authorized dealer. and as of about 4 hours ago I no longer have that ability.

microcenter MIGHT be nice and RMA it to Abit for you, but i highly doubt they'll do it since you removed thier barcode.

you can beg and cry, but I don't think it'll get you anything... unless of course you find a CSR who feels really sorry for you.

and you haven't really explored the possibilty of what else was damaged / destroyed in this mess. god knows you could have killed the cpu, ram, video cards, and even drives in a firefight like that.

We need to make a testimonials thread for all the people that buy crappy PSUs and get burned. I would put that link in my sig any day.

:withstupid:

as would I

It'd be useful for when some member is having trouble grasping why he can't use a $50 "600W" PSU for his sli system...that way we'll actually have a thread to point him to instead of saying "umm, some guy had problem with his psu & it fried his system...but i don't remember who it was or when it happened."

Well I do have my receipt so hopefully that can help a little bit. But anyways I exchanged something there before and they let me with a problem at all.

The exchange process becomes exponentially more scrupulous when the hardware has burn marks on it. Keep that in mind.

Also, I would sincerely hope you have a good reason for why you want another board. And no, "something caught fire and I want another one" isn't good enough. As far as I can tell, you have no idea if the board was even bad. You really seem to have no idea what the actual problem was. I think the PSU is a logical guess. And expecting a new motherboard because you bought a crappy PSU is quite lame. It's not Abit's fault you bought crappy components, so why do they owe you a new board? If you can't come up with a good reason why the scorch mark is the fault of the board, you don't stand a chance.

Well I just got done a while ago removing the evidence of it getting caught on fire. I removed the melted 4 pin power connector. Now it still looks brand new like nothing even happened to it. I'm not going to tell them the board is defective, I will just say that when I got it the box was partially opened and when I opened it the I/O shield or anything was missing. My mom bought a microsoft keyboard from there. She dropped it and cracked it by accident and they let her exchange it for another one still.

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90