How Can I Do This?

GuJuMaN89

ok i want to build a test computer for either testing OS's or programs. i currently have these parts:

asus K8N mobo

sempron 3100 proc

geforce2 mx-something

some crap compaq case w/PSU

dvd-drive

i know i need ram for a fact lol. ok now heres the big problem, how can i get that case to work with my motherboard? its the kind where it doesnt have switches in the front, just has the switch on the PSU, so does anything have to connect to the mobo?

can this computer handle vista cuz when it comes out, i wanan test it on that computer b4 i put it on my main rig.

So your saying that you just turned the PSU on to turn the computer on with that case?

Well plug everything in like you usually would. If simply turning the PSU on to start the comp won't work (which I doubt it will), then take one of those little bridges (you know, the things you use on your ATA harddrive to change it to master or slave), and use it on your power connectors on your mobo. (I forget weather you leave the bridge on, or remove it once the comp is started though, but if I remember correctly you remove the bridge after the comp turns on )

EDIT: Aren't you selling your sempy, and Asus mobo?

ok i want to build a test computer for either testing OS's or programs. i currently have these parts:

asus K8N mobo

sempron 3100 proc

geforce2 mx-something

some crap compaq case w/PSU

dvd-drive

i know i need ram for a fact lol. ok now heres the big problem, how can i get that case to work with my motherboard? its the kind where it doesnt have switches in the front, just has the switch on the PSU, so does anything have to connect to the mobo?

can this computer handle vista cuz when it comes out, i wanan test it on that computer b4 i put it on my main rig.

Well if you just need to test only software and not hardware, why not go virtualization?? You do know that Microsoft Virtual PC & VMware Workstation are now free

The best part of it is if you corrupt something in the virtual OS, it will not impact your Host OS.

Edited by silkster

Well if you just need to test only software and not hardware, why not go virtualization?? You do know that Microsoft Virtual PC & VMware Workstation are now free

The best part of it is if you corrupt something in the virtual OS, it will not impact your Host OS.

I have VMware's virtual server GSX, and yet I forgot about virtualization... :P

Yes I too would recommend you consider testing your OSes virtually.

i have 2 sempron 3100's and asus k8ns lol.

i bought em around the same time, im selling one set off and keeping the other set. so ur saying take a jumper, and put it on the power connection and let the compy start up? wow thats a neat trick. ill let u guys know how it goes, been a bit busy.

ill give virtualization a try too :D

but i also want this computer where if something happens to mine, i can hop on that and do stuff