Dvd-rw Drive Vibrations

ShakeWell

The dvd drive in my new inspiron that i just got a couple days ago makes a huge vibrating noise when it spins at near max speed, like when I try to install game, copy files, or make cd images. Anyone else have the same problem? I called Dell last night, the guy told me to take out the drive and put it back in, tighten the screw that holds it in. I thought it helped at first, but 2 CDs later, same thing happens again. :/

When it happens, if I put some pressure on the drive with my finger, it reduces the vibration by a lot. It doesn't seem normal at all and can't be good for the drive to vibrate this much, i think. Any suggestions?

Check to see if you have some 'vibration dampening' washers used. Some rom drives will make noise when in full spin. Generally it's the lower quality ones. If it continues it just might turn into a sound like your grinding coffee beans :huh: Now I know you said the box is new but still, it will behove you to check to see if they installed those dampening washers.

Check to see if you have some 'vibration dampening' washers used. Some rom drives will make noise when in full spin. Generally it's the lower quality ones. If it continues it just might turn into a sound like your grinding coffee beans :huh: Now I know you said the box is new but still, it will behove you to check to see if they installed those dampening washers.

where would these washers be? :P

ooo crap, did i forget to mention it's an inspiron laptop? xD sorry for the confusion, but this is the "mobile systems" section :D

thanks for the input tho, should there be similar washers for laptop drives?

Edited by ShakeWell

LOL!! :lol: Ehhh....yeah. Umm..that would be my bad. Yes, it is my bad. Maybe I need to sleep more? Had only 3hrs of sleep. So let's start over;

OK..I've done about a 10 min research on your laptop. Even though I don't know the model of your inspiron I've read that that noise you are hearing is typical :( . There are a lot of customers out there that are complaining the exact same thing. So...I'm not sure if there is a way to fix it? :(

Sorry about my stupidy. I must sleep before I jump in with both feet, agreed?

No worries man, thanks for the info. I posted this in the dell forums too, someone there said it could just be the CDs being unbalanced... kind of doubt that though, since they were pretty decent cds (Warcraft 3 and NWN). But I guess I just have to live with it.

Anyone know how I can force my drive to read slower? I'd rather have it take slightly longer for installs than shake itself to death. I'll be running most things from ISOs anyway.

It's a typical laptop thing in my experience. What I've noticed is that since the drive trays aren't motorized, they don't get held shut as tightly as a full size drive, and are therefore more prone to vibration when spinning at high rates. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

It's a typical laptop thing in my experience. What I've noticed is that since the drive trays aren't motorized, they don't get held shut as tightly as a full size drive, and are therefore more prone to vibration when spinning at high rates. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

ok, guess it's not a big problem then. thanks

guess I'll just have to deal with the lawnmower noises once in a while. xD

still, you gotta figure all this vibration can't be good for the drive, or maybe even the laptop. :ph34r: