Pentium D Or Pentium 4?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stiq

Stiq

• SETI Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

Ok so my mom ble wup my Pentium 4 i had before.. long story.. ok heres the question.. im stuck between a:

Intel Pentium 4 541 3.2Ghz 800Mhz 1MB LGA775
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116231
or a

Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz LGA775 800MHz FSB EM64T w/ 2x1MB
http://www.allstarsh...A1UV294EC2XF8CA

Now before you laugh.. im on a budget. and ive neve rbeen into Intels. Im an AMD freak. but heres the scoop. I accedentally when i was tired, orderd the wrogn socket mobo for my old P4 2.4 forgot the socket fo rthat.. but i ended up buying a LGA755 socket mobo...

Gigabyte 865G GA-81865GME-775
http://www.3gplaza.c...etails?id=53807

Im lazy and dont want to return it and get restockign fees and such charged blah blah... so im keeping the mobo.. and i need a cpu for it.

Heres what im goignt obe usign it for: Photoshop, Gaming (laugh if you must,i am.), Possible Video editing, Music Editing (Fruityloops, Adobe Audtion), Webdesign (Dreamweaver, Flash etc.), and basically an all around computer setup. Heres my big question, I knwo the Prescotts give alot of heat, its all goign in a Aspire X-QPACK Case. do you think thats going to work out with the basic Heatsink? now onto bigger questions, i do alot of multi tasking, but i also want performance. I reafd that Pentium D's are good for that. but i jsut dotn knwo which way to go from here (yes i knwo i shoudl go AMD, But theres the money issue) i only have about $110 to spare, as i jsut quit my job becaus eof my back. now anythign is better than what im on now (athough its beeter than what i learned on) a Intel Pentium II 300Mhz with XP) see my delima? but yes. i need anyswers.. maybe even insight if theres any Intel Freaks out there willign to help me out. One of these days i plan to be active agian here.. its jus tso hard when i dotn knwo whats goign on anymore.. i rememebr my AMD 2000+ oh yes.. them were the days for me :-) Thanks in Advance! and if you have a myspace and want to add me feel free to.. http://www.myspace.com/geister - Geister

#2 DECwakeboarder

DECwakeboarder

BrutePC.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2712 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

I'd say get the Pentium D, then OC it a bit. For $10 more, I'd like to have 2 cores instead of one...even if you don't use it right away, eventually you probably will.

So kudos to Congress for literally..uhh...taking a giant s*** on the poorest people in the country...because they deserve it! Well done folks!

4400+ X2......DFI Infinity nf4 SLI
x850xt............XP-120 w/ 38mm Panaflo

#3 romeo55

romeo55

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4356 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:16 AM

You may wanna get a different/better mobo... that one is based on an old chipset IE: the 478 865

which doesn't support a bunch of cpus IE: core 2/pentium d

Daily: Lenovo T420

Server: PII X4 965 BE | Corsair XMS2 4x2GB DDR2 | Gigabyte GA-MA785G | Sapphire HD7970 OC | 2x80GB RAID-0 3x500GB, 1x1TB, 1x3TB | Cooler Master V750W

#4 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10258 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:31 AM

pentium D's are supported by a BIOS update on the 865 chipset afaik

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| ThinkPad X1 Carbon | Core i5-4210U | 8GB DDR3L-1600 | Intel HD4400 | 256GB SSD | 14" WQHD |

#5 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 11385 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:57 AM

I would go with the Pentium D. I was on a budget about 6 months ago and bought an ECS 945P-A MB. Pentium D 920 2.8ghz dual core, 1GB of DDR2 4200 Corsair Value Ram. I put it all together and it would not even boot. I had to flash the BIOs with a new one at boot and now its folding 2 versions @ 3010mhz no problem and its faster than the Pentium 4.

:foldon:

I7-6900K Asus X99 Deluxe 2 Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Intel 750 400gb  2- 1080ti

sigimage.gif

#6 Stiq

Stiq

• SETI Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

I would go with the Pentium D. I was on a budget about 6 months ago and bought an ECS 945P-A MB. Pentium D 920 2.8ghz dual core, 1GB of DDR2 4200 Corsair Value Ram. I put it all together and it would not even boot. I had to flash the BIOs with a new one at boot and now its folding 2 versions @ 3010mhz no problem and its faster than the Pentium 4.

Thanks for the Advice Everyone, seems everything points to the Pentium D so i will go with that.. Now about flashing the BIOS.. if the computer wont boot with the Pentium D.. Then how am i suppsoe to flash the BIOS to make it boot? because thats the only processor im going to have to fit it, and if its not goign to even boot(see my confusion?)... Im just going to order it i suppsoe and hope for the best. ill let you knwo what happend..And thanks again for the Quick responses, Thats why i love this place ive never had any BS thrown my way.

ADVICE: NEVER ORDER PARTS WHEN YOUR TIRED! lol..

#7 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 11385 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the Advice Everyone, seems everything points to the Pentium D so i will go with that.. Now about flashing the BIOS.. if the computer wont boot with the Pentium D.. Then how am i suppsoe to flash the BIOS to make it boot? because thats the only processor im going to have to fit it, and if its not goign to even boot(see my confusion?)... Im just going to order it i suppsoe and hope for the best. ill let you knwo what happend..And thanks again for the Quick responses, Thats why i love this place ive never had any BS thrown my way.

ADVICE: NEVER ORDER PARTS WHEN YOUR TIRED! lol..

This probably should be in the M.B. section but any way I had to create a windows 98 floppy boot disc with the new bios and flash utility on it and set the bios to boot from floppy and booted from the floppy and flash it. If you have a problem when you get it together someone here will help you with it, just post in the mother board section I guess or where ever it best fits.

Edited by road-runner, 15 November 2006 - 09:47 AM.

I7-6900K Asus X99 Deluxe 2 Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Intel 750 400gb  2- 1080ti

sigimage.gif

#8 Stiq

Stiq

• SETI Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

This probably should be in the M.B. section but any way I had to create a windows 98 floppy boot disc with the new bios and flash utility on it and set the bios to boot from floppy and booted from the floppy and flash it. If you have a problem when you get it together someone here will help you with it, just post in the mother board section I guess or where ever it best fits.

Ok i think i figured out where i was confused.. so the unit should poweron though witht that processor? it jsut wotn boot any operating system.. i knwo how to flash a BIOS and thanks.. see wha ti was thinking is that if the mobo dosent support that proecessor right off bat.. then the pc wont even turn on.. ive had experience with older systems though.. they wont show vidoe if theres no processor.. at least in my experiance.. ok so i think i got it thouhg.. Power will com on and BIOS will show up.. and then i jsut need to flash it.. my fear was that the computer wouldent even do anythign at all when you said it wouldent boot... thanks for all that helped!

#9 candle_86

candle_86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

Well if you want better power, I have an Athlon 64 3000 + ECS KM800-M2 s754 mobo that ill take 100 for, its about what youd spend on that CPU and it should game alot better.

#10 bigred

bigred

Don't even get me started

• Folding Member
  • 9685 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

Well if you want better power, I have an Athlon 64 3000 + ECS KM800-M2 s754 mobo that ill take 100 for, its about what youd spend on that CPU and it should game alot better.

not to rain on your parade there bro... but a Pentium D @ 2.8ghz will absolutely smoke that 3000+ in most of the apps he listed. it'll be darn close in most games too.
Some people are like Slinkies. Totally useless, but you just can't help but laugh when you push them down the stairs.

#11 candle_86

candle_86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

not to rain on your parade there bro... but a Pentium D @ 2.8ghz will absolutely smoke that 3000+ in most of the apps he listed. it'll be darn close in most games too.

just offering an alternative, and in media editing its a little slower but in games it smokes an 820 my friend runs one and we both had the same GPU and I was about 10% faster

#12 skunksmash

skunksmash

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:13 AM

hi total nub here .....
i got a pentium D 925 3.00ghz runs all games flawlessly..( cod 4 - crysis) i ran every app i had at the time at once ( 13 in total all huge programs still diddnt phase it would not go above 45c great cheap chips......

Attached Thumbnails

• 265208.png

Edited by skunksmash, 20 November 2007 - 06:20 AM.