Sign in to follow this  
Stiq

Pentium D Or Pentium 4?

Ok so my mom ble wup my Pentium 4 i had before.. long story.. ok heres the question.. im stuck between a:

Intel Pentium 4 541 3.2Ghz 800Mhz 1MB LGA775

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116231

or a

Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz LGA775 800MHz FSB EM64T w/ 2x1MB

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.as...A1UV294EC2XF8CA

Now before you laugh.. im on a budget. and ive neve rbeen into Intels. Im an AMD freak. but heres the scoop. I accedentally when i was tired, orderd the wrogn socket mobo for my old P4 2.4 forgot the socket fo rthat.. but i ended up buying a LGA755 socket mobo...

Gigabyte 865G GA-81865GME-775

http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/control/Comp...etails?id=53807

Im lazy and dont want to return it and get restockign fees and such charged blah blah... so im keeping the mobo.. and i need a cpu for it.

Heres what im goignt obe usign it for: Photoshop, Gaming (laugh if you must,i am.), Possible Video editing, Music Editing (Fruityloops, Adobe Audtion), Webdesign (Dreamweaver, Flash etc.), and basically an all around computer setup. Heres my big question, I knwo the Prescotts give alot of heat, its all goign in a Aspire X-QPACK Case. do you think thats going to work out with the basic Heatsink? now onto bigger questions, i do alot of multi tasking, but i also want performance. I reafd that Pentium D's are good for that. but i jsut dotn knwo which way to go from here (yes i knwo i shoudl go AMD, But theres the money issue) i only have about $110 to spare, as i jsut quit my job becaus eof my back. now anythign is better than what im on now (athough its beeter than what i learned on) a Intel Pentium II 300Mhz with XP) see my delima? but yes. i need anyswers.. maybe even insight if theres any Intel Freaks out there willign to help me out. One of these days i plan to be active agian here.. its jus tso hard when i dotn knwo whats goign on anymore.. i rememebr my AMD 2000+ oh yes.. them were the days for me :-) Thanks in Advance! and if you have a myspace and want to add me feel free to.. http://www.myspace.com/geister - Geister

You may wanna get a different/better mobo... that one is based on an old chipset IE: the 478 865

which doesn't support a bunch of cpus IE: core 2/pentium d

I would go with the Pentium D. I was on a budget about 6 months ago and bought an ECS 945P-A MB. Pentium D 920 2.8ghz dual core, 1GB of DDR2 4200 Corsair Value Ram. I put it all together and it would not even boot. I had to flash the BIOs with a new one at boot and now its folding 2 versions @ 3010mhz no problem and its faster than the Pentium 4.

:foldon:

I would go with the Pentium D. I was on a budget about 6 months ago and bought an ECS 945P-A MB. Pentium D 920 2.8ghz dual core, 1GB of DDR2 4200 Corsair Value Ram. I put it all together and it would not even boot. I had to flash the BIOs with a new one at boot and now its folding 2 versions @ 3010mhz no problem and its faster than the Pentium 4.

Thanks for the Advice Everyone, seems everything points to the Pentium D so i will go with that.. Now about flashing the BIOS.. if the computer wont boot with the Pentium D.. Then how am i suppsoe to flash the BIOS to make it boot? because thats the only processor im going to have to fit it, and if its not goign to even boot(see my confusion?)... Im just going to order it i suppsoe and hope for the best. ill let you knwo what happend..And thanks again for the Quick responses, Thats why i love this place ive never had any BS thrown my way.

ADVICE: NEVER ORDER PARTS WHEN YOUR TIRED! lol..

Thanks for the Advice Everyone, seems everything points to the Pentium D so i will go with that.. Now about flashing the BIOS.. if the computer wont boot with the Pentium D.. Then how am i suppsoe to flash the BIOS to make it boot? because thats the only processor im going to have to fit it, and if its not goign to even boot(see my confusion?)... Im just going to order it i suppsoe and hope for the best. ill let you knwo what happend..And thanks again for the Quick responses, Thats why i love this place ive never had any BS thrown my way.

ADVICE: NEVER ORDER PARTS WHEN YOUR TIRED! lol..

This probably should be in the M.B. section but any way I had to create a windows 98 floppy boot disc with the new bios and flash utility on it and set the bios to boot from floppy and booted from the floppy and flash it. If you have a problem when you get it together someone here will help you with it, just post in the mother board section I guess or where ever it best fits.

Edited by road-runner

This probably should be in the M.B. section but any way I had to create a windows 98 floppy boot disc with the new bios and flash utility on it and set the bios to boot from floppy and booted from the floppy and flash it. If you have a problem when you get it together someone here will help you with it, just post in the mother board section I guess or where ever it best fits.

Ok i think i figured out where i was confused.. so the unit should poweron though witht that processor? it jsut wotn boot any operating system.. i knwo how to flash a BIOS and thanks.. see wha ti was thinking is that if the mobo dosent support that proecessor right off bat.. then the pc wont even turn on.. ive had experience with older systems though.. they wont show vidoe if theres no processor.. at least in my experiance.. ok so i think i got it thouhg.. Power will com on and BIOS will show up.. and then i jsut need to flash it.. my fear was that the computer wouldent even do anythign at all when you said it wouldent boot... thanks for all that helped!

Well if you want better power, I have an Athlon 64 3000 + ECS KM800-M2 s754 mobo that ill take 100 for, its about what youd spend on that CPU and it should game alot better.

Well if you want better power, I have an Athlon 64 3000 + ECS KM800-M2 s754 mobo that ill take 100 for, its about what youd spend on that CPU and it should game alot better.

not to rain on your parade there bro... but a Pentium D @ 2.8ghz will absolutely smoke that 3000+ in most of the apps he listed. it'll be darn close in most games too.

not to rain on your parade there bro... but a Pentium D @ 2.8ghz will absolutely smoke that 3000+ in most of the apps he listed. it'll be darn close in most games too.

just offering an alternative, and in media editing its a little slower but in games it smokes an 820 my friend runs one and we both had the same GPU and I was about 10% faster

hi total nub here .....

i got a pentium D 925 3.00ghz runs all games flawlessly..( cod 4 - crysis) i ran every app i had at the time at once ( 13 in total all huge programs still diddnt phase it would not go above 45c great cheap chips......

post-28089-1195568013_thumb.png

Edited by skunksmash