Case Mod Idea..

Gr4vitas

Well the title isn't completely acurate.. lol more of an idea for my specific case. Basicly i'm buying a new video card that will be needing more power than what my current PSU can dish out. BUT the thing is i don't really have the money to blow a bunch of $$ on a beastly PSU that can handle the new rig.. so i thought.. ill just add to my current PSU.. the idea is to take my current PSU out of my case. Mount it on the exterior somewhere and then feed the cables through the case to power like half the rig. Then buy another PSU (rather than a beastly one i can just buy a cheaper like 400 watt one) and then hook this one up where you're normaly PSU would reside. Then have this PSU power the other half of the rig.

I've already figured out how to wire it so when you boot one PSU it also boots the other. Just gotta do some wiring, and bam double the watt's half the money. The only problem is it might be tough to get both the main 24 pin cables close enough together at one point in the case to wire them accordingly. And still keep the wire management under control. Ideas? Thoughts?

Yea, i have 2 cathodes 11 fans and 2 external lights on this beast. It's already sucking a lot of juice. So i figured i could split the load on 2 PSU's that way i dont have to spent 400 bucks on a 1k watt psu.

good idea, go for it...if you would want to you could even take some bondo and attach the second psu onto the top of the case and cover most of it up in the bondo and paint it, so its more or less like a lump on the top of you case

The PSU i have now is a 500w, dunno if that can handle it all. I've got 2 cathodes and 7 case fans running in this hog. Think it can pump out enough juice for it all? (keep in mind i'm running 2 harddrives and an opty 148 DFI Lanpary NF4 mobo)

unless your psu cost $5, it will be enough to power your rig including new graphics card

my rig uses something like 400W at load...

edit: unless you're talkin about the 8800GTX maybe...

Edited by hardnrg

did i miss something or did you not even mention what psu it is?

there's a world of different between a $5 500W psu from cheap-r-us and something like my pc power & cooling 510, and many many very capable psus in between

Edited by hardnrg

I have a 500W Aspire that powers the following:

MSI K8N Neo2 Plat

A64 3500+

2x1GB OCZ Plat PC3200

6800GT OC

2xWD 36.7 10k Raptors (Raid-0)

3 other ATA hard drives

16X DVD/52x24x52 CDRW Drive

2 12" UV CCFLS

2 120mm LED Fans

6 low-volted 80mm Fans on my Radiator

Video cards don't draw as much power as the manufacturers make you think. When they say a 500W psu is recommended, they recommend that because they know you're going to have a lot of other things in your system drawing power.

If you're still concerned, here's a product that's similar to what you're intending to do, but with a cleaner installation...maybe you can figure out something similar.