Pop-ups, Virus, Trojans

ic3_man

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, but this pertains to more of a security problem than a networking one.

First off, I have 1 laptop and 2 computers that run hitman pro 2, avast, and lavasoft's ad-ware. The problem is my other 2 roommates do not run these programs and use norton or McAffee. We are all connected wirelessly through a linksys router and I have been noticing that I've been recieving alot of malware that I do not usually get. My surfing patterns have not changed at all, just OCC, school website, and bash mostly. What I'm asking is this, is it possible that one of those laptops is causing me to receive malware and possibly cause the net to lag?

EDIT: Should I also change my programs that scan for malware?

Edited by ic3_man

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would try to get eveyone to use Kaspersky Anti-Virus, And, Kaspersky Anti Hacker {Firewall}

Kaspersky is really just about the best. The spyware detectors are a slightly different catagory. It would seem to me that it is definitly possible that stuff is piggybacking it's way in, Viruses especially can be quite insidious.

Both Kaspersky apps. come included with System Mechanic 6, and you have the advantage of a top notch

maintenance tool also. Remember -" Any system is only as good as it's weekest link! "- You guys should get together to make sure your collective system is safe.

Blue Magnetic Storm

P.S. It has been my observation that both Norton and McAffee are not as good as they are cracked up to be,

and the spyware programs are very important also, { as they look for a different class of pest } they should

install AdAware and at least one other. Here again, System Mechanic has a Spyware Scan also but you should

run one more that will keep it's database updated. There are several to choose from.

Talk to your room mates, and see if you can get them to remove Mc Crappee, and Norton.

Install AVG Free & Anti Spyware, give all machines a full scan.

Clean any crap off them.

Then make sure you have your Windows Firewall on and that should be enough.

Also it might be worth making sure there not going on your laptop when your not there :)

First off McAffee and Norton both suck donkey balls. I agree with the guy who mentioned Kaspersky as it is an exellent AV. I do not agree that it is the absolute best. Personally I prefer Panda, but either of them on their worst days are better than Norton and McAffee.

It is very likely you are getting some lag off of your room mates PCs.