Sign in to follow this  
lt_navvara

2 Gb Of Ddr2

I was just thinking that given the memory hog that vista is likely to be, and the ever more memory intensive applications (thinking mostly of games here) new systems should be built with a standard 2GB of RAM in order to ensure optimal performance. Or is this just overkill?

I curently have 1 GB and although I do not suffer from RAM shortages with Windows XP I frequently find myself with less than 100MB of free RAM. While running Vista RC1 I frequently run out of RAM. Actually I think i've just answered my own question but i would still like to hear from the experts as 2 GB of RAM is a big investment, one I would not be ready to make unless necesarry, even more so given that I plan to buy low latency ram (GEIL or whatever) which costs 50% more here than the regular one.

Also, if i were to buy a 2x512 DUAL CHANNEL DDR2 GEIL KIT and a kingmax 1GB DDR2 stick how will that affect performance?

And to complete my post. I plan to go for a E6400 or E6600 but these run at 1066 Mhz. 1066 Mhz RAM is available but is vastly overpriced. If I buy GEIL RAM DDR2 @ 800 Mhz will I be able to run it at 1066? If so what performance increase can I expect?

the ram will NOT run in par with the FSB.

they will independently run at their frequencies.

i highly recommend going for 2gb (i took same step).

preferablly 2x 1gb, less chips provide higher chances of stablity and higher overclock.

:withstupid: Yeah, 1066MHz is just 266x4. Your RAM will run at 266x3 (800MHz). YES, 2GB is definitely the minimum I recommend if you're playing any "real" games. And if you're upgrading to Vista, then you really want 2GB.

I bought an OCZ 2x1GB kit (OCZ2P8002GK) and have had it running around DDR2-940 (5-5-5-15) @ 2.3V, completely stable. And that's 470x2. DDR2-800 is really all that people are buying. The exceptions are either loaded or diehard overclockers. So if you don't fit into those two categories, any 2GB kit will do. Consider yourself lucky! When I built my computer a couple weeks ago, the cheapest 2GB 800MHz kit I could find anywhere was $250. Now you've got those lovely G.Skills for $210...

Oh my GOD! That OCZ 2GB kit is 3 times cheaper than anything I can get out here. newegg is so cheap!!!! too bad they don't deliver in europe. do you, by any chance know of a european retailer with prices similar to newegg?

:withstupid: Yeah, 1066MHz is just 266x4. Your RAM will run at 266x3 (800MHz). YES, 2GB is definitely the minimum I recommend if you're playing any "real" games. And if you're upgrading to Vista, then you really want 2GB.

I bought an OCZ 2x1GB kit (OCZ2P8002GK) and have had it running around DDR2-940 (5-5-5-15) @ 2.3V, completely stable. And that's 470x2. DDR2-800 is really all that people are buying. The exceptions are either loaded or diehard overclockers. So if you don't fit into those two categories, any 2GB kit will do. Consider yourself lucky! When I built my computer a couple weeks ago, the cheapest 2GB 800MHz kit I could find anywhere was $250. Now you've got those lovely G.Skills for $210...

p4s and core 2s are quad pumped.... like you said. However.... ddr2 is still ddr, you divide by 2... i dunno where you got the 3 from? :huh:

for instance. Ddr2 667=333

and your fsb is at 266. So since 266 DOES NOT equal 333. You run a divider. Your ram will run faster than your fsb. Same with DDr1 400. and an 800mhz FSB. 200=200 :)

Oh my GOD! That OCZ 2GB kit is 3 times cheaper than anything I can get out here. newegg is so cheap!!!! too bad they don't deliver in europe. do you, by any chance know of a european retailer with prices similar to newegg?

tell me where u live buddy, and I shall hook you up with a good store :P

do you, by any chance know of a european retailer with prices similar to newegg?

not really gonna happen thanks to the european economy...

but here are some good places to keep an eye on:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

I can get the top 2 sets for 269,95 each

http://www.h-h-e.de/pd1161888826.htm?categoryId=36

thats one of them, and the bottom set is here-->

http://www.h-h-e.de/pd-217597822.htm?categoryId=36

it has different timings? not 5-5-5-12, but 5-5-5-10?

anyway, the almost legendary G.Skill HZ's are pretty expensive, 309,95