Sign in to follow this  
Makaveli

E6600 On Fire!

Hey guys, I just got my E6600 last week, and it's been pretty good. The only problem is the temp...it's idle is 66C. It's pretty much on fire, does anyone know any solutions? Besides the obvious thermalpaste and a new heatsink/fan. Just seein if I can fix it before I go out and spend a lot of money...Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I just got my E6600 last week, and it's been pretty good. The only problem is the temp...it's idle is 66C. It's pretty much on fire, does anyone know any solutions? Besides the obvious thermalpaste and a new heatsink/fan. Just seein if I can fix it before I go out and spend a lot of money...Thanks in advance.

HS? make sure it's seated properly? and what program did you use to measure temps?

if it's really 66c IDLE.... then man, make sure it's seated properly, core 2s are supposed to be REALLY cool, never to even APPROACH 60c at full load

Yeah, I had a problem with the seating when I first got it, and it wouldn't turn on because of it. So then I thought I fixed it...But yeah, I was using SpeedFan, it's a great program by the way.

Thanks for your help, I'll go ahead and try to seat it better.

If you still cant find the source of your problem try the bios then a temp probe. You could even go as far as removing the IHS.

If you still cant find the source of your problem try the bios then a temp probe. You could even go as far as removing the IHS.

speedfan is known for exaggerated temps, and removing the IHS on a 775 chip is suicide for a non-experienced person.... i wrecked one trying to do that, they use an epoxy, not thermal paste

Edited by The Unforgivin

Yeah, those temps are way too high! My slightly OCed E6600 (2.79GHz) is around 42C at 50% load.

EDIT: according to speedfan ;)

Edited by Bleeble

Ok, I put some thermal paste on my heatsink, reseated it completely and it's now running at about 40C. Much better. I'm just going to go easy on it now, and get a new heatsink before I start to overclock :) Thanks for all of your help!

Ok, I put some thermal paste on my heatsink, reseated it completely and it's now running at about 40C. Much better. I'm just going to go easy on it now, and get a new heatsink before I start to overclock :) Thanks for all of your help!

didn't have any on it before? yeah that'll do it...

Yeah, I just made the mistake of thinking that the stuff that comes on the heatsink stock was good enough...bad idea! I'm just glad I didn't fry anything!

Makaveli, you from Kazakhstan like Borat? :-P

Based on his profile I would guess that he's from Colorado. I would also guess that "Makaveli" is a misspelling of "Machiavelli", referring to Niccolo Machiavelli.

So where did that come from and what does it have to do with anything?

You could even go as far as removing the IHS.

Do you think that just maybe IHS removal might be a little bit drastic at this stage? :blink:

That's like amputating a leg for an ingrown toenail.

didn't have any on it before? yeah that'll do it...

Do you really think that a lack of thermal compound would cause this chip to idle at 60+ degrees? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using Arctic Silver, but have any of you guys ever tried not using thermal compound at all? It's not that big of a difference. If you really think that a dab of compound alone can reduce temps by 20 degrees or more, that's crazy... especially at idle.

I'm sure the thermal compound helped a bit, but more than likely, the heatsink was simply not seated properly the first time.