Sign in to follow this  
legend_jo

Random Reboots/freezes

I just upgraded from AMD64 3500+ to an FX - 55, and of course installed the free seagate harddrive(great deal from newegg).

Now i've had no problems before installing either of these devices, i actually didn't install the harddrive till this monday. I tried overclocking the FX-55, with little success so i put every thing back to stock. Didn't see any problems for all the week that i've had it at stock. After installing the harddrive is when issues started occurring(monday).

Suddenly i'm getting random freezes, and random restarts. No BSOD. sometimes it cuts off and i hear a buzz, and just get a black screen.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

CPU is stock 2.6Ghz, Memory is stock 2.5,2,2,5 rated times.

I did notice the harddrive(seagate one that came with the Fx-55) had to be re-recognized by windows once after a random reboot, and i do have the paging file(3000mb) on this drive. My OS is on another SATA drive, maxtor 100gb one.

I"m leaning towards the new drive, or PSU...any thoughts?

I would definately guess PSU or the new hard drive myself. When you just cut out with no BSOD or anything, power is a possible culrpit. Plus the X-Connects don't exactly have a terrific reputation.

I would start by swapping your old drive back in and taking the new one out. That's a fairly easy way to test it. If it works with the old drive, then the new one is junk. If it's not the drive, I'd set everything to stock and run some stability tests. See if you get any failures. If that doesn't pan out, I'd test power. Obviously, you could swap a bigger PSU in, but if you had one, you'd be using it. You could try unplugging some extra fans, maybe spare HDDs if you have them. Just do what you can to reduce the load on the PSU and see if your problems persist. It's possible that the new upgrades pushed your PSU over the edge and now it can't keep up.

I actually have an Antec TruePower 2.0 TP-II 480 on this system now, i took out the x-connect almost a year ago. Forgot to update sig :blush:

Could it still be the PSU? Also the second HDD is used as storage, it is not the primary.

I'll try removing it though, and see what happens.

Could it still be the PSU? Also the second HDD is used as storage, it is not the primary.

It could be anything, but I'm less likely to suspect the Antec, if that's what you're asking. That Antec should do fine on the system in your sig.

Try unplugging the spare drive and see how things work. That's a good place to start.

U R right!

I got the TWINXP1024-3200XL, so 2,2,2,5. My bad...

On further investigation, i have the new Harddrive set to 3.0 instead of 1.5 transfer rate. From what i've read the Neo2 is 1.5 for SATA transfer rate. So i'm going to see if setting the drive to 1.5 will change my experience.

I hate to tell you this but that sounds awfully familliar. I've had a few bad A64's do that. it's the memory controller.

Your usually right...i hope your wrong this time :blush:...i've switched the SATA drive to 1.5 transfer rate, and timings to ACTUAL stock(2,2,2,5)....so far so good..

Can only keep fingers crossed...never doubt you guy's advice

k33p you posted

oh yeah, i also switched HDD's form SATA 1,2 ports to SATA ports 3 ,4. Read on MSI forumns that SATA 1/2 have issues.