Pc Can Not Detect Hd

WhenKittensATK

My friend's HD started to act up, so he brought it over to my house and I plugged it into my PC. When I started up the PC it said I did not have any HD installed. I also tried to reformat it with his Windows Xp cd but it also did not detect a HD.

His HD is an Maxtor SATA 1.5gb/s. The HD was from his Dell Dimension 8400

Any solutions of how to get it to work?

As sdy said, it wouldn't have screwed up your drives. If you're trying to test his drive, you want to make sure the bios is set so that your drives are primary and the sata is enabled and not selected as a boot device. SATA is techincally "removable" so if you want, you can try booting up with just your harddrives, like you normally would, then once in windows try connecting his drive (if you do this, I'd already have the power connected prior to boot, and just connect the sata cable when in windows. See if the finding new hardware icon appears...btw, I never tried this myself, and I'm not sure all motherboards support this.).

nope that didnt work

10:20 pm -- I just tried to write a new boot sector, but that didnt seem to work. I'm gonna try to reformat it now.

Next day-- Ended up having to switch different IDE cables to get my hard drives to detect while reinstalling Windows. My HDs are fixed but it took me the whole day and my frd was gonna take his HD to some tech support guy at his mom's work.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I know it sounds rediculous, but are you 100% positive that your friend's hard drive is running when you start it? I had a 250GB hard drive that I never heard it die, but windows didn't detect it, and I didn't find out until I opened my case and listened. You never know...

Sometimes drives just die. It's happened to me on several occasions, and it's about to happen again. It sucks, but so do a lot of things. Good luck with the data recovery my friend.

Edited by andrusk