Sign in to follow this  
trey

Xbox 360 Or Ps3?

True gamers play on the PC, and THAT is where performance matters, and where the performance crown will always lie.

Let's not get started on that :P I know PC's are in fact getting better than the current/next gen. consoles (if they aren't already) But you have to consider price in all this. A decent rig will set you back the $600 for a console at least.

Plus I can kind of see the glamor in the whole "Everyone is on the same page" kinda thing.

And none of this "Oh I beat you cause my 360 is uber faster and better than your 360"

Keeping the playing field even opens up online gaming to a bunch of people who would other wise be too intimidated to try it.

Don't get me wrong I want a kick arse pc gaming rig as much as the next guy but the budget won't allow for it at this time.

Looks like somebody doesn't like reading: :P

:withstupid: nrg, you realize vga = component, right?

EDIT: Boybands, don't just take a snippet of what I said and make it appear like a PC fanboy comment. If you read the rest of what I wrote, you'll see that what I'm basically saying is you don't pick a console based on performance, that's what PC's are for. You pick a console based on the selection of games (which ultimately comes down to personal preference)

I have played on my m8s XBox360, and it didn't make me go - 'wow! the graphics are good' I just picked up the controller and said 'how do I turn this on...'

I have a ps2 (playing gt4 atm) but my gaming time on the ps2 is about 10-20% and about 80-90% on the pc

I am not saying xbox360 is a HEAP OF B*LL*X...I just wasn't exited as I thought i'd be. My PC can play all the games I like , all medium -> max gfx, and they excite me more than playing on the xbox360

I ill buy a ps3 as I have owned each Playstation so far...I will move to another console if one looks / excites me more than the next ps.

Edited by g1ng3r

Ummm the PS3 is much more like a computer than the 360. One example is the web browser on the ps3.

and you think the xbox 360 can't have a web browser? Of course it can. The only difference is microsoft doesn't want you to have one ;)

and you think the xbox 360 can't have a web browser? Of course it can. The only difference is microsoft doesn't want you to have one ;)

No I NEVER said it couldnt have one.

I said it didnt have one, seperating it from the PC and the PS3. Proving even more that it is was made for one thing. Gaming.

I said it didnt have one, seperating it from the PC and the PS3. Proving even more that it is was made for one thing. Gaming.

and im' saying that all you have to do (just like on a regular xbox) is mod the 360 and it can do everything that the PS3 can do

Bill Gates is very mad at you right now. The Xbox360 wasn't designed to only play games. It was designed to be an "entertainment hub" (straight from the horse's mouth, not my words). It's supposed to play music (via the hard drive or attached MP3 player), stream media from computers on the network, you can watch movies (and soon HD-DVD), and then there's Xbox Live, which allows you to communicate with friends and visit the marketplace. Oh, and it's also supposed to play games :P

The PS3 will be capable of everything listed above as well. It also wants to become a media hub (hence the BluRay player). Though one area the Xbox360 has an advantage over is the Media Connection option where you can connect the 360 to various computers on your network and stream movies/music.

1080p requires an HDMI cable as component cables can't carry a 1080p signal (has more to do with the DRM infected HD-DVD than technical capabilities). The Xbox360 only supports component cables. See the problem?

Looks like somebody doesn't like reading: :P

not particularly no :D

:withstupid: nrg, you realize vga = component, right?

since when? vga is RGB, separate red, green, and blue channels, NOT Luminance and Blue-difference, Red-difference... and vga is more than capable of 1080p, and i don't really see how vga has any form of DRM

SO, if xbox360 got some kinda firmware update to 1080p, i don't see how it couldn't be output via vga, AND why it wouldn't...

Actually, that update has to do with the HD-DVD addon, it has no effect on the games as they will still be in 720P or 1080i.

However, here's the fun part about that little announcement. 1080p requires an HDMI cable as component cables can't carry a 1080p signal (has more to do with the DRM infected HD-DVD than technical capabilities). The Xbox360 only supports component cables. See the problem?

Well here's an interesting article regarding 1080p:

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1544/T...on-of-1080p/p4/

In talking about two new HP DLP's (HP Pavilion MD5880n and HP MD6580n), it states:

The first thing that caught my attention was their ability to accept native and compressed 1080p signals at 24/30/60 frames per second through any of their two HDMI inputs. In addition, the component input can also accept 1080p signals, but at 24 and 30 frames per second.
So apparently component can accept 1080p signals, though only up to 1080p30, not 1080p60...but since, according to an earlier statment, that article said 1080i is essentially like 1080p30 after it's deinterlaced, how much of an improvement would "true" 1080p30 be? So it does look like you need HDMI to get the true 1080p experience.

I wasn't debating technical capabilities (and if it seems as though I was, I apologize for my poor wording).

Microsoft has clearly stated that games for the Xbox360 will have a resolution of no more than 720p. So this means that the 1080p update will have NO effect on the gaming experience. This is the easy part.

So now you're thinking what exactly is the point of 1080p if you can't use it for gaming. This is where Microsoft's HD-DVD add-on player comes into the picture. It's a high-resolution format that takes advantage of such a high resolution. That seems to be something anyone can easily figure out.

Here's the fun part that many of you may not know about. It's a nice little thing called High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). You NEED this little bugger in order to watch HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies in pure high definition. A HDCP encryption code can only be broadcast over DVI or HDMI cables. Starting to see the problem yet?

The Xbox360 supports three types of cables. First is the basic RGB with the white, yellow, and red connectors. Second is what comes bundled in the box, component cables; these are your pretty blue, green, red, and two other colorful connectors. Finally, there's the VGA cable.

The Xbox360 does NOT support DVI or HDMI cables. Since you happen to require either of those to watch high definition content in its full glory, this means the HD-DVD addon basically becomes a crippled next-gen player. So you can technically watch HD-DVDs on your Xbox360, but not in a resolution any higher than either 480p or 720p. You can forget about 1080p.

no, you are wrong... VGA is easily capable of 1920x1080... i can run it on my monitor... hell i can run up to 2048x1536 if i want...

http://w.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-36...nent-1080p-vga/

VGA does 1080p, end of story

Even after the software upgrade this fall, via component cables, the Xbox 360 will still only upconvert DVDs to 480p, and will play HD DVD movies at a maximum resolution of 1080i. To get 1080p output for movies, you must use a VGA cable, which is not subject to the same copyright restrictions.

To break it all down what you will get from the Xbox 360 after this fall's software update:

VGA:

• HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
  • DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
  • Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

• HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
  • DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
  • Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Edited by hardnrg

I like the idea of Xbox Live. There is none of this pay to multiple people crap. One monthly fee that is reasonably priced. In exchange you get quality something or another.

I have one word. ForTheWiin