Directx Mesh Files

lt_navvara

can i use models i build in maya 8.0 as mesh files in my upcomming 3d directx game? if so how? i need to know this b4 i get started on my game. thanks in advance.

:typing:

you should have a direct x export plugin that can output the scene geometry to the .x mesh file format... i'd be VERY surprised if it didn't come with Maya... you may have to download it separately from the website... i think i run Maya 7, i'll have a look where it is on mine later on...

edit: lol, the answer is a definite yes... you might have to download an export plugin (it'd be like 30 KB or something)

Edited by hardnrg

like those plugins that came with directx sdk? how do i've copied the plugin stuff to maya's bin folder but i still can't export .x files, is there an option in the menu or something? i've looked for one but couldn't find it. this maya is so complicated. dang it'll take me months/years to learn how to work it.

i'm going for directx based games. directx not only gives you the graphics but also all the other tools needed in writing a game: audio, input and last but not least networking. (i must sound like a m$ salesman right about now) and ofc the fact that d3d handles objects by way of vectors makes writing a physics engine a heck of a lot easier.

and to stay on topic: i have maya 8.0 directx sdk has the pluggin but for version 7.0. i've used that link's info to try to install the pluggin but maya sais the pluggin isn't compatible with my version of maya. what to do?

// Error: Plug-in, "D3DMaya7ExportX" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (D3DMaya7ExportX)

Edited by lt_navvara

i recompiled the plugin myself and it works now, sort off.

the plugin can be activated, i can save to .x format but the x files are empty. they cannot be loaded by directx viewer, which would be a surprise since the files have 0 KB. it seems there is no way around this, i'll have to wait until a proper dx exporter plugin is released for maya 8

i've set the project to link with those libraries, now the files actually have data in them and by reading the files with notepad the data seems valid but directx viewer just hangs when trying to load the mesh file. i don't get any error message, it just says: "loading whatever.x" perhaps i'm not using the right export settings with maya. i'm a maya uber noob so i have no clue as to what these should be