Say What?

Newport

Well i had to reinstall XP today and i had some issues... After accepting the CD key, windows would not give me an instillation id to give over the internet so i could in turn type in the key needed to activate windows... So i had to call customer support (slap in the face). Here is my 2 hour convo summed up as best as i can remember... its hard to translate mid eastern to english :P

Me = Me

MS = Microsoft CSR

MS- Hello thanks for calling MS how may i assist you today?

ME- I need for you to give me an instillation ID so i can activate windows. XP Pro has already accepted my CD key.

MS- Okay, what is your name, phone number, zip code, and e-mail addy?

Me- (gumble) Gave info accordingly

MS- Have you already installed XP on your home desktop pc? (what the heck?!)

ME- yes.

MS- and has your system accepted the CD Key that is loc-

ME-Yes! It has already accepted the cd key. I have mentioned that to you a few seconds ago!

MS- okay, So have you called the 800 number to activate your account?

ME- I CANT! I HAVE NO CONFIRM KEY!

MS- Okay. I want you to restart your computer. Tell me what is says now.

ME- (in a lost hope voice) it says the same thing...

MS- Hmm... I am going to transfer you to our activation personell (the ppl who activates your xp key)

-After waiting for 25 minutes, another guy answers-

MS- Thank you for calling MS. How may-

ME- I simply want my xp to activate. I have no instillation id to give to you, but xp has accepted my CD key. Is there anyway that i can just give you my CD key and you can confirm it as being real and then you can just give me a activation key to use over the phone?

MS- I am sorry but i will need to do a few things first. (this guy repeats ALL of the freaking questions the other guy asked and he then got nowhere.)

ME- So now u see that didnt work... which is why the last guy sent me to you. Now can you please just give me an activation key... You have already seen that my CD key is true and valid.

MS- I dont have the ability to do that. Sorry.

ME- But you are the activation guy aren't you?

MS- Yes... What is your point?

-The first person apparently was listening in the whole time and he starts speaking the the second helper as if i was not even there. They said this: "What do you suppose i do?" "You are the tech guy. You tell me." "But i transfered him to you... You fix his problem." "But i am not qualified to fix this problem. You are the tech guy, you help him!"

By this time, i have a grin on my face that was priceless... These guys are fighting about my issue. Neither one knows what to do, but they are the ones "qualified" to help me.

I hung up... I HATE M$

Geez. What a couple of idiots.

I've only had to call in once, and it only took about 5 minutes including wait time. The guy just asked for my CD-Key and then gave me an activiation #. He was foreign, so I was a bit scared at first, but it went really smooth.

You must have called their third-string tech guys. :lol:

Had you followed the activation process correctly you would have had the info they needed. Ihave had to call about 5 times this year just due to upgrades.

Exactly...

I never understand why people complain about the activation process... it really takes less than 5 minutes (even to call) if you are doing it correctly.....

Well, seeing that i did do the activation process correctly and it did NOT give me an id to give to MS, that is why i called in in the first place. I ended up having to reinstall 3 times before that danged disk gave my an id number.

I mean... there is really only one way to do it... you cant screw it up. So i dont get how you say i was doing it incorrectly..?

Man, talk about brutal. I'm not surprised you went through this. I once called Chase Bank about charges to my account that I did not make. I called once and the person told me there was a problem in their system, so he said it would be fixed by tomorrow, so the money shoudl be there. I waited a week and nothing happened. I called again and talked to the accounting department where some person told me that I was wrong and that the charges were justified. I was like, "What?" I just hungup and then I called the next day after I went through a history of the activities and pinpointed each unauthorized charge. So.. when I called again, I was transfered to the accounting department again and I finally was able to speak to someone, who was a native English speak, which saved me a lot of time. I quickly pointed out the first mistake. Luckly, she was intelligent enough to look through the whole thing and notice all the additional charges to my account. I was pleased with her work and I was refunded after a week.

Yeah...MS can be and is 'per-snickety'. Can't really blame them though. A lot of pirates out there. BUt on the other hand there's no reason why they need to treat some like that. AND WHY! is there ALWAYS the language barrier?!?! :angry2: It's frusterating enough let alone dealing with a 'person' from different country. It's like you to spell out the issue to explain. Even then, sometimes don't work. I feel ya man... :(