Sign in to follow this  
old_oc'er

How To Get Out Of A Cell Phone Plan

Well i have 9 months left on my cell phone plan with us cellular. Its a shared plan with my mother cause i was in high school when i got it. Now i am in college and I moved a ways away from home and now i can't get signal. Us Cellular said its my fault for moving and i can't afford the $200 termination fee. Any ideas?

Well i have 9 months left on my cell phone plan with us cellular. Its a shared plan with my mother cause i was in high school when i got it. Now i am in college and I moved a ways away from home and now i can't get signal. Us Cellular said its my fault for moving and i can't afford the $200 termination fee. Any ideas?

Well, how much is your plan? Because it is your fault for moving and you signed a contract, so your only way of probably getting out of the plan is to either pay it all or pay the $200. I would say if your plan would cost more then $200 over 9 months, then pay the termination fee since it is cheaper.

It is your fault, you moved. Figure out what is cheaper, pay the 9 months or pay the 200 bucks. You could also talk to a cell phone company that is in your area and see if you sign a contract with them if they will pay the free from your other contract.

Edit: Overclocker16 you beat me to it.

Also ghost, its not there fualt they don't have coverage there, unless they said they would/have it there.

Edited by hndgns4hrts

They can't make you pay that because you moved...

Threaten to file a complaint with the BBB.

It's their fault for not having coverage there.

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Some companies don't have service in areas because another company owns that area and won't sell a spot to another company. You don't HAVE to move, it's a decision. Which now makes his cell phone a paper weight.

Fake your own death?

Theyve got a billion lawyers working to make sure they get every last penny they can. The only thing I can think of is threaten (bluff) to end all of your business with them and move to their biggest competitor. Make some big speech saying that they have made, and will make a lot more than 200 off of you if they wave the cancellation fee. Its better to minimal profit than none at all.

Edit* The complaint to the BBB sounds good too.

Edited by BlitzBomb

you sign a contract bassed on a coverage aera they provide.. and when you sign it.. you agree thats what you get.. its your fault for moving. .its not there fault for not having signal everywhere.. pay the termination fee because you prob owe over 450 dollars easy on 9 months more..

can u roam on ur phone? if the contract is like mine (Cingular) and 50% or more of ur minutes are roaming minutes, they will terminate ur contract.

They can't make you pay that because you moved...

Threaten to file a complaint with the BBB.

It's their fault for not having coverage there.

BUZZ. Wrong answer.

Aside from managing my profession in Public Safety, wireless communication and infrastructure is a place I heavily involve myself, including with cellular carriers. They most definately CAN make you pay because you move out of the area they cover.

Filing a complaint with the BBB because of this will most likely be laughed at, especially if it's within the terms of service they provide when you sign into a contract. It is NOT their fault for not having coverage, or roaming agreements in areas they've decided not to have service.

Get a clue.

You could give your plan to someone that lives in your home town and then just have your mom make sure they pay thier part of the bill. Siblings that need a phone?

Your pretty much stuck with either paying the termination fee or just paying for the rest of the contract. Make sure that if you pay the termination fee that it doesnt cancel your moms cell phone too, because she is on the same plan.