Wireless + Wired

Shadow334

ok this is going to be hard to understand but go with me here. ok. my ant lives next door to me. she lives close enough to get dsl but i dont. so i set up a wireless network at her house. i use my laptop to get on it. but i have to be in the back room of my house(closes to her house). i have very good signle and full speed. is it posible to put my lap top on my wired lan and share the net on it through my lap top with the computers on my wired lan? if so how?

is your aunt's router a linksys? You should buy those longer antenae for their wireless routers. My dad bought those for his router & it made a huge difference in max distance & signal strength for the wifi in his house ;)

just an idea though

Edited by sdy284

no but that is not why i want it on my other comps. my laptop is slow and my desktops are newly built. and a a card in my desktop, even in the back room will not pic up the signle. but back to my first question. is it posible to link themtwo together. i tyied a bridge in windows and then my net would not work at all.

Edited by Shadow334

yes you can, but, you will have to set it up on the network as "this computer connects to the internet through another computer"

thus your laptop will need to be online and powered up all the time.

unless of course someone knows about a wireless device to plug into a router directly?

ok now everytime i enable the wired connection it disconects my wireless connection and i can not reconect until i disable the wired connection

sp2 i hope is installed?

see, i can enable both and run both here. not that it goes much faster, lol, but it DOES work. are you using windows to configure wireless or the wireless adaptor software?

yes it is sp2. but i am using windows. will this matter?

it really shouldnt in my experience...

have you tried to bridge the connection as recommended above? i recall it being pretty easy to do, but others will probably have more to say about that than me!

it is too far for cat6. i done tried. they do not make antennas for this router. and this is what i want to do. i have already bridged the connections. but when i enable my wired connection it disconects me from the wireless connection. what the heck is up why cant i be connected to both networks at the same time. from what i have read it is suposed to be easy to do but ya know how it is, nothing ever goes the way the tutorial says it will. but just why cant i connect to both networks at once?

What kind of router does your aunt have?

If your able to why not just move your aunts wireless router to the side of your house that is closer to yours or buy a singal boster and stick it in the area were you get a strong singal in your house and it should be able to bost it throught out your house.