Building New Rig For Mom

young-joseph

The reason I chose fairly high end parts is to prevent the need to upgrade for a matter of time. I realise this is more than she will need in most cases, but as I said, she's not a noob either. However, she wants this comp to last as long as her last one has (7years). I'm not going to build her some $300 POS empty box. So instead of telling me what my mom's computer needs are, how about we focus on what I really asked? Like memory concerns with that mobo.

I am looking into a larger HDD and will look at the NEC. Thanks to those of you that really answered the quesion.

don't blame the members when you never stated what your moms needs are & what she uses her computer for

Even if his mom was doing very light video work and mostly e-mail type junk, it still makes sense to get her a good computer that will be able to use any new software that comes out and isnt practically out of date already like most budget pc's...

what has me puzzled is that the pc you'r building your mom is better than the one on your sig...

...lets ignore that .

youre doing good in buiding your mom a pc that will last, but that video card is rather pricey, and for the price you are getting that 1gb you can almost get a 2gb so that "wont last".

other than that not looking bad.

Oh believe me I would love to put this rig in my sig. But I do not have the money nor do I have any real, practical reason to upgrade. Mine still does all that I need. Could be faster, but it gets the job done. So what memory would you recommend to go with the gigabyte GS3? I keep hearing about all these voltage problems but can't seem to find a solid answer on which voltage works for sure.

BTW: the vid card was only a lil over 200, not bad in my opinion for a good card along with the tuner

Edited by young-joseph

Good sir, the video card is $303.99 a bit of a difference from "just over 200" and you say you want it to last and what not but you only have 1 gig spec'd. To run Vista you would WANT at least 2 gbs. I hate to say this but for the money she had buy a MacMini or iMac and a USB tv tuner for VHS ripping.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Wonder-X1900-Exp...p;s=electronics

$226 from amazon. It was 202 on newegg but out of stock, then just the other day newegg raised it to 300

RAM is easy enough and cheap enough to upgrade down the line

Macs....I don't think so. She and I are not willing to venture down the road of the apple.

Edited by young-joseph

Don't get OCZ ram for that board. I got the Gold XTC 6400 kit and there was no way to make it work properly. That was about a month ago and there were many issues with some ocz modules on this board. Might be solved by know, don't know. I ended up with Mushin Black Series 6400 and everything is 100%. Also tested the Kingston 6400 Low latency or whatever its name is at the store while troubleshooting and it worked fine too. All were 2gb kits.

Nothing wrong with budget PCs. Especially if intense work is not really done. Like with the family pc, which is an eMachines with a celeron 2.3ghz. My family has been using it for four years now at it works perfectly fine and that PC only costed 450. Pretty cheap. But hey, pick what you want since you think you know what is best.