Sign in to follow this  
cyberpc04

External Scratch Disk For Photoshop On A Mac

I work as a graphic designer at a newspaper and i've been working on getting my work to include some money in next years budget for more memory which is probably going to happen soon. Even after that does happen though I highly doubt it will be enough for my liking. I started laughing the day I started when I found out the system I would be working on only had 1.5Gb and it's on a mac so it's probably going to be more ram hungry than a typical pc. Anyway, until we get more memory (and even after) i'd like to be able to use an external stratch disk for photoshop & illustrator.

I have an external drive that is hooked up but for some reason photoshop won't recogize it as a usable scratch disk but illustrator will. Anyone know of some external drives that would work well for what i'm looking for? (btw, it's a maxtor 200Gb 7200RPM USB2 external drive so if there is a way to get it to work in photoshop please let me know).

Ideas, solutions, suggestions? Thanks!

**EDIT** Ok, figured it out. I don't know how to delete this thread though. For anyone else that stumbles upon this with the same problem, the drive must be formatted in HFS in order for photoshop on a mac to write to it.

Edited by cyberpc04

Well even though you got it to work is it really the best thing to do? I would think that the latency and real world transfer rate of the USB interface would yield poorer results then using your boot drive for a scratch disk.

not if you use firewire 800 if its avalibal on your mac.. and no.. photoshop is more optimised for a mac.. .and will run better

not if you use firewire 800 if its avalibal on your mac.. and no.. photoshop is more optimised for a mac.. .and will run better

(btw, it's a maxtor 200Gb 7200RPM USB2 external drive so if there is a way to get it to work in photoshop please let me know).

as i was saying....

photoshop is more optimised for a mac.. .and will run better

are there any sort of standardised Photoshop benchmarks? i think a dual core or dual processor amd/intel would fair well or better than a mac tbh

are there any sort of standardised Photoshop benchmarks? i think a dual core or dual processor amd/intel would fair well or better than a mac tbh

I've never been able to find a comparison of the two using a recent photoshop version. There is a fairly simple and standardized benchmark anyone can download, but their database results are use the "honor" system and has now way to search the results. http://www.driverheaven.net/photoshop/

you could do what maximum PC does, just have a large image & have a macro that applies every filter to that picture & time how long it takes to apply them all ;)

http://www.maximumpc.com/2003/12/benchmarks.html

Adobe Photoshop CS

We’re trading Photoshop 7 for Adobe’s latest uber image editor, Photoshop CS, but we’ll use the same basic action script we adopted during the heat of the Apple-versus-PC wars. The foundation for Apple’s claim of superiority over the PC is based partially on Photoshop filters; but the trouble with Apple’s argument is that its tests encompass more fine print than a used-car contract. If you run this test on the second and third Tuesdays of a leap year, with this specific filter turned on, while standing on your head with a ham-and-peanut-butter sandwich in your left pocket—lo and behold—the Mac is faster. We decided to run ‘em all and let the Almighty sort it out.

We updated from Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS and experienced a drop in performance. Evidence of bloatware, perhaps?

We take a JPG shot with a Canon EOS 10D and apply every freakin’ filter available. This test thrashes the CPU, thrashes main memory, and is also slightly disk-intensive. Interestingly enough, we measured a performance drop moving from version 7 to the CS version, even though we’re running the exact same action script. We plan to update the test when the new version of CS is available, and we’ll probably move to a larger file size to take state-of-the-art digital cameras into account.

Edited by sdy284