Ubuntu - File Explorer? Hd Manager? Re-partitioning?

cdoggown

Hi kids,

Just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and am trying to find my way through. Upon install it would not partition the hard drive the way I wanted:

10GB - Ubuntu - Ubuntu native file system

10GB - Vista RC1 - NTFS

1GB - Ubuntu swap file

57GB - FAT32 Program partition

So I had to just format the drive into one big partition. So I have two questions:

1. What is the equivalent to Windows Explorer in Ubuntu? I would like to check remaining hard disk space and whatnot. I used Windows Explorer all the time in XP... aargh.

2. Is there a utility either built in to Ubuntu or from a third party that will let me re-partition the drive the way I want? Looking for something free or with a feature-rich free trial.

Thanks for the info!!!

C

Hi kids,

Just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and am trying to find my way through. Upon install it would not partition the hard drive the way I wanted:

10GB - Ubuntu - Ubuntu native file system

10GB - Vista RC1 - NTFS

1GB - Ubuntu swap file

57GB - FAT32 Program partition

So I had to just format the drive into one big partition. So I have two questions:

1. What is the equivalent to Windows Explorer in Ubuntu? I would like to check remaining hard disk space and whatnot. I used Windows Explorer all the time in XP... aargh.

2. Is there a utility either built in to Ubuntu or from a third party that will let me re-partition the drive the way I want? Looking for something free or with a feature-rich free trial.

Thanks for the info!!!

C

For partitioning, use qtparted, its in synaptic.

do you meen internet explorer or the window manager (lets you look asround your computer at files etc.

For internet it has firefox pre-installed, for the window manager there are a few choices, I just use the one already installed, no hassle.

For partitioning, use qtparted, its in synaptic.

do you meen internet explorer or the window manager (lets you look asround your computer at files etc.

For internet it has firefox pre-installed, for the window manager there are a few choices, I just use the one already installed, no hassle.

He means the windows manager kind of explorer.

I have not used Ubuntu before (Fedora core FTW!) but if you're using Gnome, or KDE as your GUI, there should both be file managers there.

This is a doc on how to use the KDE file manager.

This is a doc on how to use the Gnome file manager.

I've found that KDE is a little more user friendly, but it takes up more resources to run than Gnome.

OK, Ive found that document on GNOME before. Mine is based off GNOME, but I only have two things in there. See pics. .. also, if I right-click it and go to properties, unline windows it doesnt tell me my remaining disk space.

Also Im not seeing anything on the left panel for propgrams I have installed, making it difficult to navigate. aargh. Guess Im either not getting it, or Im not ready for Linux.... :(

post-9635-1158912500_thumb.png

post-9635-1158912518_thumb.png