Manditory Stability Control In The Us?

sdy284

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that my drivers ed class was a joke. I am an alright driver, Im not going to brag about being good because I know that I am average but we only had three 1 hour drive sessions at my drivers ed class and in each of those we did pointless things like drive through the burgerking drivethrough, go to 7/11 so my teacher could buy smokes, and go through a carwash.... not once did I go on the highway! So I agree with making driving school better in the US.

I'm all in favor of following mr nugent's plan... make ALL the kids pass the state police driving school.

sure it would cost a pretty penny, but it would SAVE so many more... not to mention the lives it would save in the long run.

Guest Flashstar

it's a catch 22 in my eyes.

yes it will lessen the odds of them rolling a car over on the expressway and making ME wait till someone can clean up their carcass. it'll bring down MY insurance.

however natural selection doesn't need anymore holdups. it also will give that same air of invincibility / stupidty that leads to so many other messes on the road... cuz they all think they can drive like morons to a point where the system can't save them.

The only problem with that is what if it's you that some idiot goes flying into at 40+ mph? Even rich people are not immune to stuff like that.

We shouldn't need the governement making this mandatory because what if it fails and your car goes out of control? Plus, if it really works that well, all we need is the natural system of cost and demand.

Stability control is the same to me as traction control. It is there to make people think they can drive above their capabilities. While it may be a safety device there is always the idiot who will try it out. As an example everyone has seen the idiot in a 4wd truck in the winter time thinking he (or she) can still do 65-75 mph in the snow and ice just because its in 4wd mode. Then seeing that same idiot tieing up traffic while upside down in a ditch because they thought that the 4wd would prevent them from sliding off the road.

Different but the same in my eyes.

The only problem with that is what if it's you that some idiot goes flying into at 40+ mph? Even rich people are not immune to stuff like that.

We shouldn't need the governement making this mandatory because what if it fails and your car goes out of control? Plus, if it really works that well, all we need is the natural system of cost and demand.

I can take some idiot skidding out of control @ 40mph. what I can't take is some idiot doing 90mph and exceeding the abilities of the system... just because he thinks he can't go out of control. and what does money have to do with it? there are flaming idiots in every financial group

Stability control is the same to me as traction control. It is there to make people think they can drive above their capabilities. While it may be a safety device there is always the idiot who will try it out. As an example everyone has seen the idiot in a 4wd truck in the winter time thinking he (or she) can still do 65-75 mph in the snow and ice just because its in 4wd mode. Then seeing that same idiot tieing up traffic while upside down in a ditch because they thought that the 4wd would prevent them from sliding off the road.

exactly what I'm talking about. it gives them a reason to push it beyond what they SHOULD be doing.

of course my solution to idiots on the road still holds. PUT MORE STEEL BETWEEN US.

No offense, but have you ever driven in a blizzard?? If you're forced to drive in a blizzard, you can lose traction even when riding your break, so to say traction control is useless is pretty naive.

PS. Before you snap back...no, I do not have traction control on my car (like I said, I don't even have ABS), but I have driven cars with it.

No offense, but have you ever driven in a blizzard?? If you're forced to drive in a blizzard, you can lose traction even when riding your break, so to say traction control is useless is pretty naive.

PS. Before you snap back...no, I do not have traction control on my car (like I said, I don't even have ABS), but I have driven cars with it.

you totally missed the point

he's talking about the people with stability control who think they CAN"T spin out cuz stability control will save them, so they drive wrecklessly. stability control wont do crap @ 70mph in the snow

Guest Flashstar

you totally missed the point

he's talking about the people with stability control who think they CAN"T spin out cuz stability control will save them, so they drive wrecklessly. stability control wont do crap @ 70mph in the snow

No, he was talking about 4wd. :smack:

lmao.i posted in this thread a couple days ago, and it seems to me that people cant read eachothers posts.

honestly i dont understand what the problem is with it, they have proven statistics that it seems to be doing its job. if it makes you safer, weather you are in the car or in one next to it; then hell, let them do it. there will always be those people who have to drive fast and the people that drive soley for the purpose of transportation. but using the technology isnt to distinguish the two or make the crazy people better drivers, its to eliminate or help lessen injuries or potential lost lives.

and if you dont like it, then just drive older cars :D

Guest Flashstar

lmao.i posted in this thread a couple days ago, and it seems to me that people cant read eachothers posts.

honestly i dont understand what the problem is with it, they have proven statistics that it seems to be doing its job. if it makes you safer, weather you are in the car or in one next to it; then hell, let them do it. there will always be those people who have to drive fast and the people that drive soley for the purpose of transportation. but using the technology isnt to distinguish the two or make the crazy people better drivers, its to eliminate or help lessen injuries or potential lost lives.

and if you dont like it, then just drive older cars :D

The 2 problems in my mind are 1, what if it fails? All technology isn't perfect. And 2, how much $ will it add to the production costs of cars. It could only hurt the already burdened US car companies.

no, you guys are missing this. clay should know cuz he's driven in snow. you might have missed this one becuase you've never witnessed it first hand.

4wd is always a joke to behold on snow and ice covered roads. it's just 4 wheels not getting any traction. but becuase the wolrd is full of morons, they think 4wd allows them to drive without worrying in the snow. stabilty control would just be one more thing for these same morons to view as an excuse to push it harder and drive even more wrecklessly.