Sign in to follow this  
94Camaro

How's This Laptop Look

Well as you may have in seen my recent thread, my mobility radeon 9600 is dying, so this thread is to get your guy's input on a new laptop.

That is of course unless someone can get their hands on a mobile 9600 for me...

My main usage of the machine is school work, some programming stuff, some photo editing, and light gaming...america's army type stuff, none of the newer hardcore games.

I'm looking a Dell right now and have configured an Inspiron 9400 as follows.

Intel

Battery life isn't much of an issue for me, as I can plug in pretty much everywhere I'll take this. I just have to be able to get there easily, which is why I'm using a laptop.

Anyone else have any input about the RAM, monitor, whatever? I'll be ordering something soon, so get your votes in quick!

I tell you what, if you go UXGA....you'll hate anything else. My new laptop has a UXGA screen and i absolutely love it

there will probably coupon codes and other deals that will make stepping up to the geforce 7900 plausible for your price range pretty soon. (watch slickdeals.net for deals on the e1705, which is pretty much the same as the i9400.)

Also, more RAM would be a good idea, but unless you need it as a filler to reach a coupon code, buying it from a different store would probably be cheaper.

Right now they've got 10% off inspiron systems, with no coupon. And I just discovered I can get another discount through my university if I build it as an e1705 instead of the 9400.

I can't really justify the 7900(though obviously it would be nice), as the 9600 I've got played all the games I've wanted it to, and the x1400 is a big step up from it.

Thanks for the input about the display sdy, you've probably talked me into it. :lol:

Thanks for the input about the display sdy, you've probably talked me into it. :lol:

sdy is right, deffinatly go with the uxga...they are nice.

Looks similar to mine, and I am very happy with mine. I agree with the above though, definitly get a coupon, I ended up getting 30 or 35% off mine. Definitly helps in the long run :). Good luck and have fun with it!