How Much Damage Can 35mm Take?

Propane

Hey, I have a roll of night sky pictures that cord camera charged me a lot of money to develop 2 pictures from :angry2: but I have the negatives to them. It has been a while and these negatives have not been in a super secure place and some very small scratches have formed on the material. My question is, will any prints be majorly affected by this? Im thinking of either taking the roll back to cord and asking them to make a few copies of certain frames that I can make images out on or scaning them myself but I dont want to do that if a nasty image will result.

I did get one cool pic that I will try to upload sometime, I think people on here might like it.

Negatives can be easy to damange especially on the emulsion side. The thing is they aren't going to get in any better condition sitting around. If you want to preserve them, then now is the time to get them scanned. Then you can work on getting the scratches out with photoshop. If you want a more analog approach there's a oil that can be applied to the film base. If the scratches are in the base, the oil will fill them in. Then the negative is printed. You can stop there, have the print scanned in, or even have a new negative burned. Pretty much anything is possible. It all depends on how much you how much you want to pay for it.

Definately have them done now.. BUT..

Have it done by hand by a professional instead of the machine. The machines aren't designed to be able to fix poor negatives. A skilled person in the darkroom can do wonders to a bad negative.

hey man long time no see! are you still going to the af?

anyways, I did some work with them and there are some scratches that show up in the prints but Im going to try to get them photoshoped out. I'm planing on submitting it to a physics in photography competition so I'll have to check up on the rules to make sure photoshop is cool with them but hopefully itll make a nice personal print at least. Also, does anyone know if a B&W darkroom can develop color prints or do you need special chemicals? Our school has a darkroom that is used for the photography class but they only do B&W film in that class and digital color...

Thanks for the help everyone.