Sign in to follow this  
lt_navvara

Possible Video Card Failure

First of all my video card isn't oc'ed since i've had issues with it in the past, the video card proved to be unstable while occed & my warranty has expired. About 2 weeks ago i've cleaned the hs of my video card and replaced the thermal paste (although i think i put too much paste in)

This is the current problem:

within the last 24 hours i've got some blue screens identifing nv4_display.dll as a source for a system failure. nothing new as this has happended to me in the pas but never while my computer was sitting idly with only the desktop to render or while shutting down. Yet these did not concern me.

About 1 hour ago i had some problems with my internet connection and had to mess with the network cable. To do so i moved the computer but soon after plugging/repluging the network cable my computer froze and i had to reboot. I solved the problem and i got a bluescreen. After checking my internet connection i was ready to put the computer back but when i started to move it the computer froze again. I rebooted but then the screen filed with multicolored squares. I franticly pressed the reboot button until i got the check video memory screen (the comp was back in it's place by then)

Windows started up normally but it found a new hardware device in the name of a Video Media Controller for which it was unable to find any drivers. The hardware device dissapeared after another reboot.

As is see it there are 4 possible causes to the problem:

-i jerked the computer around while i was moving it but this only explains the multicolored screen not the bluescreens

-i got some sort of virus explaining the blue screens

-the video card is damaged and about to die on me.

-some ombo of the former

The latter one seems unplausale as this morning i played some real video card intensive computer games and nothing happened. I'm thinking of running 3d Mark to check for instability but i'm afraid that just might ruin my video card.

Edited by lt_navvara

The whole multicoloured squares thing sounds like what happened to my 6800. Reseating the heatsink would actually fix it temporarily. I'd guess it was heat damage. RMA'd it in the end :thumbs-up:

i've run 3d mark 2001 and the benchmark completed succesfully with a score of 8800 but i noticed some artifacts in the "dragon merrigo ride" (high poligon count) and "giant turd" (bump mapping) test there was this horizontal line which somewhat split the image in the center.

i think i'm gonna take the video card out and replace the thermal paste again and this time put in fewer paste. can you put in too much paste and if so what are the negatove efects, can it?

i've run 3d mark 2001 and the benchmark completed succesfully with a score of 8800 but i noticed some artifacts in the "dragon merrigo ride" (high poligon count) and "giant turd" (bump mapping) test there was this horizontal line which somewhat split the image in the center.

Might be worth giving 03 a try, I have a feeling it might be a tad more stressful.

i think i'm gonna take the video card out and replace the thermal paste again and this time put in fewer paste. can you put in too much paste and if so what are the negatove efects, can it?

People reckon you can, but personally I am not so sure. Put too much on and surely the extra 'too much' should just be squeezed out the sides under pressure....?!

I know (Im almost completlly sure) I have put too much on before on a processor and I had to RMA it. Try cleaning off the core using some medical alcohol (ethanol I believe) on a q tip or similar device. Then add only about a drop to the core and replace the heat sink. You really do not need much as it will spread out and cover the die without any problems.

ran 3dMark 2003 several times but no blue screen (average score 2200), this thing is more stable than a concrete monolith but i did get another bluescreen coplaining about a sys driver setting it's non-pagabl area as pagable. I'm beggining t othink that the blue screens and computer lock-ups (especially durin shut-down) might be due to a virus but this this does not explain the multicolored screen

running a full virus scan with bitdef 8.0 then taking the video card apart. i'll be back when it's all done

virus scan taking too long 12 hours plus i'll be better of just formating my windows hardrive (a windows reinstall is long due anyway)

took the video card apart, there was little paste coming out of the hs' side and none actually touching the circiutry so i've whiped the paste clean with toilet plain paper and put the video card in. i've also tried to move the computer around while it was running (careful not to touch the PSU tough) and nothing happened

Edited by lt_navvara

I had the same error come up as well (nv4 display.dll), it most often came up while playing farcry, I tried adjusting memory timings and everything, which still didn't fix it, in the end i changed drivers from 91.31 to 91.47 and all seems to be ok now,

i tend to think too that this is more like a driver issue since i now keep fetting blue screens with a driver marking it's non-pageble area as pageble, especially durin windows start up or shut down. as for video drivers, i think i still use 5.6, i have a newer version but found that my old video card just didn't stand them (i constantly got the nv4_display thing while playing games with 8X.XX nvidia drivers), perhaps i should upgrade my drivers

Edited by lt_navvara

ok i spoke to soon, it just blue screened on me again , so changing drivers is not it, on the blue screen it said something about non_paged_memory, i would have read it properly but the sound was going in a loop (farcry), so now i'm out of ideas as i have adjusted just about every setting in the bios that can be changed and it still happens, and i can prime and memtest for atleast 24 hours with no problems, this problem only started when i put the nvidia card in so it looks like I might have to go back to my ati card

got a small spare hdd? load up windows, basic set of drivers and the games in question.

that WILL tell you if it's software or hardware.

well i googled the error and it seems that the nv4 disp.dll crash/loop has been aroud for a while now i found references going back to 2001, all discribing the same sort of symptoms and all with the nv4 disp.dll and page fault in non paged area, i am trying this at the moment http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4432 it might be from a year ago but it hasn't done any harm yet :rolleyes: , i have tried farcry and no crash -- yet

buy the way this is the blue screen that i got/get is it the same as yours lt_navvara ???post-7809-1157657713_thumb.jpg

will try another hd if this fails