Wavemaster Case Mod

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: What's up with this? I put what you said in quotes and what I responded is in quotes. :huh:

hmm, maybe a forum update? or maybe all that milling has made yer brain go la-la :lol:

didn't think you'd be one to skip fitting up, or measuring twice, i meant maybe you'd think of something better later, you know :P changin the design a few times hehehe... <nudge <nudge

this is what i was talking about for the dye though:

04uvtesting0eo.jpg

the effect of normal light vs uv light on the dye: here

comparison of the various colours by the same company:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=...mp;postcount=13

i'm sure you can get the same stuff over there :)

Edited by hardnrg

this is what i was talking about for the dye though

That stuff certainly turns on the lights doesn't it :lol: I just wonder how it would react with the coolant I am using. It's not like it's water, you could spill it all over your circuits and it wouldn't hurt a thing because it's non conductive. It's bio degradable too, I mean you can drink the stuff...which is good to know in case I ever run out of diet coke mixer for my rum :lol:

Yep...thoes ramsinks SUCK mine are on with the super glue method, I THOUGHT i had them on, leak tested everything, fired up the system the first time, played a few games...and it cut off. After a few mins of what the heck?!?!?! action i noiticed the pile of ramsinks at the bottom of the case and ontop of the 5200...

Anyway i got lucky and could JUST fit the tubing on the block without modification to the ramsinks. Definatly pressing againt it though :) (btw thoes two didnt fall off :lol:)

Worst part is I ran the card without them for a few days and get identical OC results. Oh well, they look nice :)

A true artist at work. Very well done sir! :D

By the way, being a former machinist myself I must ask this question. Is that a solid carbide coated end mill, cobalt high speed or just a high speed coated end mill that we see in one of those pics? Just curious....

Edited by mazakman

A true artist at work. Very well done sir! :D

By the way, being a former machinist myself I must ask this question. Is that a solid carbide coated end mill, cobalt high speed or just a high speed coated end mill that we see in one of those pics? Just curious....

Just a high speed titanium coated....solid carbide would be nice but expensive B:)

Fueler, you are a freakin' genius with those tools. You make this stuff look so easy. And the speed at which you do this is amazing.

I constantly look forward to your next project so I can see logs like this. Great work man!

Just plain sexy! Makes me want to do something to the little wavemaster down in the basement... Unofortunately I don't have the patience or the skill to do everything so precise, so it would inevitably turnout half-assed.

I went in the same boat hardnrd did. I wanted a wavemaster for my current rig that I am using because of the looks and durability, but the cooling was hellacious so I used the TT Tsunami instead. It's an "OK" case, but the quality of the Tsunami is nothing compared to the wavemaster.

• 4 weeks later...

This will probably be the final update.....

When I started this I had several goals in mind:

1) It had to be able to play all the games my son currently plays at high resolutions with all the goodies turned on including antialaising

2) It had to be quiet....my son uses it to play music at a very low volumn at night when he finally hits the sack....so the PC can't sound like a NASA wind tunnel

3) It had to run reasonably cool under full load

4) It had to be rock stable even if slightly overclocked....Usually when my son is playing games he has Xfire, Teamspeak, MediaPlayer 11 (beta) running too and, if he is playing Halo, Fraps ( I haven't seen a day go by that he isn't accused of "aimboting" so he records everything just to shut them up....that's why I put over half a terabyte of disk space in this thing)

With the above thoughts in mind I made a couple last mods to the case.

Like I said earlier in this post it was nice of ASUS to include a fan to cool the motherboard mounted components....I just don't understand why they only give you one fan when there are two areas with cooling fins that need air flow over them.

I took the fan and shroud from a 6800 vid card (it has the same type of fan as the asus provided fan and is actually not loud at all) and modified it to fit the other set of Mobo mounted cooling fins. With this setup the mobo temps dropped from 39c /40c to a solid 35c under full load.

Here's the modded 6800 fan assy next to the ASUS provided unit

Ryan-29.jpg

Installed

Ryan-31.jpg

The 7900GT's had a tendency to droop under the weight of the watercooling so I made a support for them

Ryan-34.jpg

Hiding wires is a pain.....here's what you don't see when the RT sidecover is on

Ryan-37.jpg

I finally finished the side cover....in the end I just went with a simple window (I had to mount it on the outside because of clearance problems) I also cut a grill into the lower rear of the panel so that cool air could be pulled in over the video cards....no fan assist was needed ...the 2 120mm panaflo's mounted to the radiator were able to move plenty of air through this vent on their own.

Ryan-43.jpg

Ryan-44.jpg

The Zalman fanbus controls have a range of movement (if equated to a clock) from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock going clockwise.....so starting on the left the 2 panaflo's are set at 2 o'clock and the front and rear fans are set at 3 o'clock. I wouldn't say it's HTPC quiet but it comes d*mn close.

Ryan-33.jpg

A look from the front with the door open

Ryan-38.jpg

A couple more pics

Ryan-41.jpg

Ryan-46.jpg

I'd post some screen shots but I'm out of pic space for this post:

Final specs: CPU 2.8Ghz @ 1.375v (in the bios) CPUz reports 1.42v

Mem 935Mhz @ 2.15v

Temps CPU 46C, Mobo 35C under full load (both cores running P95 for 24 hours)

GPU 617Mhz/Mem 800Mhz (no volt mod.....yet)

3dmark06-9126

3dmark05-14253

Hope you enjoyed the post and thanks for all the kudo's B:)