Looking At Building A Laptop, Input Is Welcome :)

anthony

As the title suggested, I am looking at building a laptop, now normally I would just buy one but I have some very specific needs.. well more specifically, my sister has some very specific needs :P.

We are looking for something with a 12.1" screen, not something powerful, just capable of doing basic tasks and of course a long battery life. The only option we have found that isnt insanely expensive is building it with an Asus barebone.

This barebone package happens to be very nice though :D Who could say no to carbon fiber :D

ASUS Z33AE CENTRINO

The processor I am looking at is an Intel M 1.5 GHz for a surprisngly low price of 70 dollars :Olink

The thing has 512mb of mem included, but I will be adding another stick which is about 100 ish and lastly a HDD. 40 GB should be sufficient for now, but maybe an external hdd later on.

What do you guys think? This all adds up to 1100 CND, should I go for it?

We are looking for something with a 12.1" screen, not something powerful, just capable of doing basic tasks and of course a long battery life.

Note the bold

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1149207793457

AMD X2 1.6ghz

1gb PC4200 DDR2

Geforce Go 6150

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1152228986670

AMD X2 1.8Ghz

2gb PC4200 DDR2

Geforce GO 7200

Not only is one of the systems you linked over budget, they are both frekin' dual core, just what good is that going to do for her other than suck battery life.

You can all ready my sig for my laptop (well tablet) specs it's a battery sucker, 2hrs.

Right now im using my new work toy, a Gateway M280E general specs:

Pentium M 740 1.73ghz

512mb DDR2 (533)

40GB HDD 5400rpm

CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Intel GMA 900

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

15.4" 1280x768 LCD

8 cell battery (optional 12 cell)

So far I'm up to 4 hours on the charge, windows says i still have 1:32 left to go. Not bad :) It's the longest battery life ive ever gotten with a laptop.

Ive also used a Turion based laptop (2.0 model) It got battery life around the 2:30 mark.

The point is I would definatly stick with the intel side, but another thing to note is the bettery you get, most store bought laptops are lacking in battery power, afterall price can be cut with a cheaper battery and that's what you'll get many times. The other thing to note is the THREE cell battery listed in the ASUS based barebone, definalty something to consider.

Thanks for the input Franky and CC :) Ive tried out that MSI before and personally I dont liek the feel of it, feels kinda flimsy IMHO, but then again I havent seen this Asus barebone so I cant really compare.

The Asus has an optional 9 cel battery so we will definitly be getting that. Reason why I am looking for such a low powered laptop because it is only going to be used for word processing and such, for gaming (like she games :P) she can use my rig :P Cc, do you have a link to that laptop you have?

Thanks for the rude and immature response CC.

I gave him my suggestions. You don't need to be a jerk about it.

and I've seen many dual core laptops get great battery life, around the 4-5hour mark.

Thanks for the rude and immature response CC.

I gave him my suggestions. You don't need to be a jerk about it.

and I've seen many dual core laptops get great battery life, around the 4-5hour mark.

I didn't think his response was that rude or immature, of course maybe thats because I'm mature?

You need to relax & not think that everything is a personal attack on little old you.

That being said, I have a HP/Compaq nw8000 with a 1.6Ghz P4M, 1gb ram, & it gets around 4-5 hours on a charge. It's an older model though, but I haven't had any problems with it and its fallen off my bed & onto carpet (about 3ft drop) a lot of times & its still tickin...so thats gotta say somethin about it :)

I say go for it, that asus is a good setup IMO. Def. get the upgraded battery though.

And a bigger internal hard drive might be a better idea than external for portability, but an external makes backups easier.

I have an HP and love it too, but mine's the 15.4" from costco. You might consider 14.1" models if a slight size increase is worth a smaller price with slightly better specs.

don't do it!

from experience of building several laptops... they're not what you'd expect from companies like asus or msi. crappy plastic, poorly cooled, lousy power supplies... and way more expensive than a fully warrentied namebrand notebook