Will Upside Down Water Block Affect Peformance?

Queenz

Ok for some odd reason I heard somewhere that placing the water block upside affects its peformance. I heard its suppose to be in the direction where the inlet and outlet holes are suppose to be at the top and not at the bottom. Is this true? Because I have mine like this. And would anyone know have any ideas on how to cool my radiator better. Right now it has a 80MM fan on it that is DC 12V and runs at a max of 2700 RPM.

to cool your radiator better, put more, and/or cooler air through it. that's all. new or higher powered fans, or having cooler outside air pass thru the rad rather than warm case air..

for the block, yes it can be devestating to have the block the wrong orienations..

now, that depends on the block. for my tdx, the inlet is right on the die of the proc, where there are fins inside the waterblock. it's impossible to install it wrong tho, so i'm geussing if that block was designed where it's possible to switch it around, that it wont matter.

See here is a picture of my water block. No matter what direction it is in, it will fit no matter what. But like what I am asking is will it affect water flow if the block is upside down.

bianca17.jpg

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

i think it would be bad if it were upside down, but not significantly enough, the water is going to need more pressure to go "up" in to the block and then out where as normally it wont need that extra power, hope those w/c experts can answer this since i myself am not too sure since i dont use w/c.

ahh ok. the block can be oriented however you want. but attach the in on top and the out on bottom... the difference won't be that significant.. but it might help with overall flow by a hair. a very tiny tiny hair.

it won't make any difference as long as one of the ports isn't obviously an inlet with some sort of jet filter on it for impingement, but from the location of the inlet/outlet ports it looks like there is most probably just a simple channel in a U-shape from one port to the other (or maybe a funky "3" shape)

does the waterblock have a manual or online installation guide?

it won't make any difference as long as one of the ports isn't obviously an inlet with some sort of jet filter on it for impingement, but from the location of the inlet/outlet ports it looks like there is most probably just a simple channel in a U-shape from one port to the other (or maybe a funky "3" shape)

does the waterblock have a manual or online installation guide?

Yeah it does have a manual but it doesn't say anything about it being in a certain position on the motherboard or anything.

ok. think less about top and bottom ports... think more about inlet and outlet... the inlet USUALLY comes in at the centre and the outlet goes out at the side... if the are both away from the centre (like yours) it means the water passes over the centre rather than being blasted AT the centre...

my gpu blocks have side ports, i wouldn't care which way they are mounted as long as the block surface is in full contact with the gpu die... in fact, the blocks are mounted DIFFERENTLY for each card to suit the tubing route...

gravity has like almost nothing to do with watercooling if it's a closed-loop (which most modern systems are)

• 1 month later...

Simple Grade 11-12 science actually. A weight of 5kg falls into a box, in an ideal system, moving from left to right at a constant speed of 5meter per second when empty, what is the speed of the box with the weight in the box? Yep 5meters per second... So left and right arent effected by top and bottom interferance.