Sign in to follow this  
VoiceInHead

Overclocking Ram

Here's my RAM, basically i've starting to try overclock my computer again since i've gotten it back together and running for awhile. I did a case mod project so i have to start over. Basically i'm curious on how many volts would be safe to put through the RAM. Right now i'm putting 2.8v through them so they will be stable at 210 fsb. At this rate i'm worried that i wont be getting very far with my overclock. Thanks.

I had that RAM for a while. I stress the sticks much but Im betting 2.9+ would be pushing it. For TCCD 210 seems really low, have you tried loosening the timings and seeing what you can do? Those sticks are known to hit high 200s FSB.

Here's my RAM, basically i've starting to try overclock my computer again since i've gotten it back together and running for awhile. I did a case mod project so i have to start over. Basically i'm curious on how many volts would be safe to put through the RAM. Right now i'm putting 2.8v through them so they will be stable at 210 fsb. At this rate i'm worried that i wont be getting very far with my overclock. Thanks.

SO your saying that it isn't even stable raising the speed of the RAM 10 more MHZ without raising the voltage to 2.8V? Usually RAM could do that speed on stock volts. I think you raised the voltage too soon. Your overclock isn't even high enough to add more voltage yet. I had crappy kingston RAM and it could do 210 on stock 2.6V. You need to check your timings because it doesn't sound right. ;)

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

SO your saying that it isn't even stable raising the speed of the RAM 10 more MHZ without raising the voltage to 2.8V? Usually RAM could do that speed on stock volts. I think you raised the voltage too soon. Your overclock isn't even high enough to add more voltage yet. I had crappy kingston RAM and it could do 210 on stock 2.6V. You need to check your timings because it doesn't sound right. ;)

If you look at his ram its actually rated for 2.7-2.8 so I dont think he "raised his voltage too soon"

I would stick with your 2.8v because frankly you shouldnt really be even worrying about the ram at this point in your overclock. The ram is rated for 2-2-2-5 which is really tight, and being that your running a socket 939 your memory controller is on your chip so your ram timings are not as important as achieving a higher Mhz on your CPU. My recomindation would be to change your timings to 3-3-3-8 leave it at the stock voltage 2.7-2.8 change your divider to 150 and see what kind of CPU Mhz gains you can get. Once your cpu stable, "then" start tightening your timings on your RAM. Good luck and come back and let us know how it goes^^

you won't get very far at 2-2-2-5 with tccd ram... you need to open it up to at least 2.5-3-3-6 to get anywhere and more likely 2.5-4-3-7 or 2.5-4-4-8 for max performance....

i had my 2x512 MB GSkill LE (very similar sticks) up at 304 MHz, 2.5-4-3-7-1T :)

i have them screenshotted up at 322 MHz too lol... including memtest86+ passing at 320 MHz!!!

edit: i gave my sticks 2.9 + .03v in bios on my Ultra-D (SLI modded), i'd say anything up to 2.9v is ok to try, up to 3.03v if you are feeling brave and have a fan ON the ram... you should have a fan on the ram anyway, regardless

Edited by hardnrg

you won't get very far at 2-2-2-5 with tccd ram... you need to open it up to at least 2.5-3-3-6 to get anywhere and more likely 2.5-4-3-7 or 2.5-4-4-8 for max performance....

i had my 2x512 MB GSkill LE (very similar sticks) up at 304 MHz, 2.5-4-3-7-1T :)

i have them screenshotted up at 322 MHz too lol... including memtest86+ passing at 320 MHz!!!

edit: i gave my sticks 2.9 + .03v in bios on my Ultra-D (SLI modded), i'd say anything up to 2.9v is ok to try, up to 3.03v if you are feeling brave and have a fan ON the ram... you should have a fan on the ram anyway, regardless

They really need to start making waterblocks for RAM ;)

i have those same sticks, and used to do ddr600 24hour prime and occt stable that is untill i tried them in an asus board and they never behaved the same :(

edit: they do BUT i havent really seen any very high quality ones (last time i checked was like a few months ago :P )

i have those same sticks, and used to do ddr600 24hour prime and occt stable that is untill i tried them in an asus board and they never behaved the same :(

edit: they do BUT i havent really seen any very high quality ones (last time i checked was like a few months ago :P )

cool I couldn't possibly even have enough room in my case to even run all those freaking tubes everywhere lol

I"ve tried to losen the timings to 2.5-3-3-6 before and windows had trouble booting up, right now i'm testing it at 210x8 and its been stable for superpi 32mil and occt 30min test. I'm gonna losen the timings and see if i have the same trouble as before with the higher voltage.

*EDIT*

I tried booting with 2.5-3-3-6 timings at 2.8v with 210x8 fsb, and i got to my boot screen and then my comp restarted, if there are any suggestions on what to do with my timings i'd be appreciated. Also i'm gonna do some 6 hour testing and see if i need to increase the voltage any for 220.

-SuperPi 1mil failed on right after start up at 220fsb 2-2-2-5 timings and 2.8v.

Edited by VoiceInHead

try 2.5-3-3-7, 2.75vdimm and make sure 1T command rate is disabled (just to test for stability and later on enable it).

use the orange slots and these settings:

FSB: 220

LDT: x4

LDT BTW: 16/16

CPU/FSB: x8

PCI E: 100 MHz

K8 CnQ: Dis

CPU VID: 1.450v

CPU VID Control: 1.450v

CPU VID Special: 104% (defaults to no overvolt)

LDT: 1.3v

CS: 1.6v

DRAM: 2.7v

Dram +.03: Dis

(blah blah network blah sata blah blah)

----

Dram: 200 (1:1)

CPC: 1T

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 3

Tras: 7

Trp: 3

Trc: 7

Trfc: 14

Trrd: 2

Twr: 2

Twtr: 2

Trwt: 3

Tref: 3120

Twcl: 1

Dram BI: enabled

DQS Skew C: auto

DQS Skew value: 0

Dram DS: 7

Dram DDS: 1

MAL: 8ns

Preamble: 5.5ns

ICL: 256clks

DC: enable

R/w QB: 16x

bypass max: 7x

32bit g: dis (4 bursts)

see what happens then

No idea whats going on...put all setting to what you have listed, some i had to change so i was hopeful, but can't get 220 fsb to run even superpi 1m. At 2.5-3-3-5 it would boot, but couldn't finish the test. Also tried 2.5-3-3-6 and 2.5-3-3-7, neither woudl boot windows.

*EDIT*

Anyone ever heard of the program "Style XP" interfering with overclocking stability?

Edited by VoiceInHead